ID:1855479

Click for full size!

Project I'm doing using SFML and written in C++. I'm really starting to think I'm okay at pixel art now. Comments and criticism appreciated.
OOh I like how this looks.
10 points for using SFML instead of SDL.
I personally don't like tetris, and that's all this appears to be, oh well :(
I love you.
That's amazing looking. Nice work!
Thanks everyone! :)

Also Superbike32: It doesn't follow the same rules as Tetris, it's more like Puyo Puyo if you've heard of that.
That looks great, Oasis. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
Is this some kind of port of Alchemist RPG, or was that a separate project? Will this be multiplayer? It looks very nice, but since it isn't made in BYOND, you can't play it in the webclient.
In response to Multiverse7
Well, you won't require a webclient to play, or BYOND for that matter, so I think that's a plus. You just download the executable and run it.
I'm planning on for-sure local multi-player and I'll try to implement global multi-player as well.
In response to Oasiscircle
I see. SFML is multi-platform. I wonder if it would work on mobile devices. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
In response to Multiverse7
On the SFML site it says that it will soon work for Android and iOS.
I think you can already test it out on Android and iOS, but I'm not sure.
A game like this is meant to be played on the web or a phone app (if you can get the controls to work well)! Not many people are going to want to download and/or install a game like this. That's not saying the game isn't good enough to be downloaded, it's just not that type of game (obviously this is my opinion based on things I have observed).

Of course, if the game is done well and people really like it, plenty of people will download it. But probably not as many as you could have got. Also, a web game could be placed all over the web making money from multiple game portals at the same time through ads. Most likely more money than the game could make through direct selling.

The nice thing about using something like HTML5 is that the game can be played on the web where it should be, or wrapped into an exe to be downloaded or turned into an app.

Not trying to dissuade you from the project as it stands or anything, just want to see you and this project be as successful as possible!

No matter what you decide for the game, I wish you the best of luck!
In response to Aaiko
Of course! I'm new to the whole deploying to web from C++, I'm so used to doing it with Java where it seemed a lot easier. Could you give me a resource or two about the subject or a push in the right direction? Thanks for the well wishes, Aaiko!
Oasiscircle wrote:
Of course! I'm new to the whole deploying to web from C++, I'm so used to doing it with Java where it seemed a lot easier. Could you give me a resource or two about the subject or a push in the right direction? Thanks for the well wishes, Aaiko!

I don't know a whole lot about porting C++ to the web, but I do know there are a few people working on such services. I know Emscripten is something Mozilla is working on to allow it, but I don't really have much information about it.

If you are not that far along into development, I would suggest looking into pure HTML5/JavaScript to make the game, or use an engine/service that runs on them. It might require a bit of learning, but it would be worth it, I think.
In response to Aaiko
Gosh do I wish that C++ was more portable to the web. Every source I've seen so far has basically said the same thing with regards to deploying C++, "Why would you want to do that? Just use language XYZ". It's a fantastic language, it's fast, OS-portable, clean, and efficient, why would I NOT want to use it? Because it has zero web deployment options, that's why.

I really started this project more as something fun, rather than something I wanted to turn a profit on, so I think I'll be keeping the development to C++, I'll have to check out Emscripten and see if it's worth a shot for web deployment. I really do want to see this game have a little bit of success, or for someone to at least enjoy it, but in the end this game is more for me to just say I finally did something with programming besides BYOND-related stuff and homework assignments.
Is the game stand-alone Oasis? Meaning I wont have to use an installer and everything is self contained? Similar to the zip file for BYOND. (Obviously this prevents you from using the byond:// protocol url's though, and the pictures for the files don't show up in Dream Maker unless you install it.)
In response to Superbike32
Everything would be self-contained. You download an executable and it works right out of the gate, no installation or anything.
I don't think some people here understand the game was written in C++, not BYOND.
Page: 1 2