ID:1855501

Coming back to BYOND after a long hiatus and I see there's been many updates made. Are you able to post your BYOND game on your website as a .exe? When new players download it, do they have to make a BYOND account to play? How customizable is BYOND as a whole off of BYOND? Would it be possible to host a game with hundreds of thousands of players efficiently on BYOND's framework? And if not, how much players could a dedicated BYOND server realistically support.
AnimeBeyond wrote:
Coming back to BYOND after a long hiatus and I see there's been many updates made. Are you able to post your BYOND game on your website as a .exe?

Our only supported exe option at the moment is the standalone, which requires a distribution key. NEStalgia is setup this way, as are a couple of others. I'd like to provide some options for simple single-player games in the future that would not need a BYOND account.

When new players download it, do they have to make a BYOND account to play?

Not necessarily. Guest accounts are still usable.

How customizable is BYOND as a whole off of BYOND?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Would it be possible to host a game with hundreds of thousands of players efficiently on BYOND's framework?

Not on the same server, but on different servers it would be possible. The big games on BYOND typically play with about 100 people on a server.

I've been working on the new webclient to make it more efficient, so that it can be about equivalent to Dream Seeker in terms of performance impact on the server. The webclient allows the game to be played without downloading any software.

And if not, how much players could a dedicated BYOND server realistically support.

I see 100 pretty often, but a lot depends on the game. If you want the game to have a higher frame rate, that will have an impact on performance as the server ticks are of course faster. And of course writing efficient code is always important; if a game is bogged down by bad code, that will always eat into its ability to support players.
I see, alright thanks for the information