ID:1855681

Anything earth shattering or new?
A HTML5 webclient, that's pretty impressive.
In response to A.T.H.K
Saying the HTML5 webclient is 'pretty impressive' is a massive understatement.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
Saying the HTML5 webclient is 'pretty impressive' is a massive understatement.

To be fair .. it needs a lot of work..
In response to A.T.H.K
Oh, of course. Performance is still far from being on par with DS, but for what's available, it's pretty tight. Yo.
HTML5 rocks.
In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:
HTML5 rocks.

Yep

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
Oh, of course. Performance is still far from being on par with DS

Damn straight dawg?

99% CPU on a simple hello world output and a default interface file, it's not good.

In response to A.T.H.K
I get like 6-12% CPU on a scene like this in the webclient where it would've taken 1-2% on DS. It's nowhere near 99% cpu though...
In response to Doohl
It'll be much closer to DS in upcoming builds. In 508 I plan to pay special attention to this. My goal is for the webclient to be more DSified so the difference is minimal. Severed World is my best test platform for that because of the high framerate.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
I get like 6-12% CPU on a scene like this in the webclient where it would've taken 1-2% on DS. It's nowhere near 99% cpu though...

2.10GHZ CPU 1 core

http://files.byondhome.com/ATHK/test_src.zip

IDLE no one is using it, it's not visible anywhere, it's not even a game.

Linux command - DreamDaemon test.dmb 1121 -trusted -webclient

[EDIT] Latest BYOND 1285
not gonna lie the html5 client has been nigh unusable for most of its lifetime thus far

ive always been slightly annoyed by the way tom and lummox "test" it. you can tell from the initial beta test that they released the beta without testing it on a single game. sure, the developers should be expected to report individual issues for their projects, but the fact that the beta was completely unusable for months is kind of pathetic- if i spent years working on a big project like the html5 client, i would have at least played a few games before i released it for public testing

ask yourself: have you ever even played anything on the webclient? in nearly a year of beta, i haven't. the only time i've ever even used it was so that my friend could play my game on his mac, and even that was a buggy and hellish experience (opacity&luminosity literally just dont work, etc)
In response to Nix
Actually I've tested on a number of games. But, most of the games I've tested with have been ones that push the system, or had a big player base (e.g. SS13) and needed more features. If you see issues in a specific game, please let me know; I'm eager to get as many games working with the webclient as possible.

ATHK, I'm definitely planning on looking at your case soon. The fact that it races on the server end even when idle is troubling, although it does suggest that maybe the webclient isn't the whole issue.
In response to Lummox JR
-threads off seems to fix the issue Lee.
Oh, the webclient is definitely not threadsafe. The threads feature still has a lot of issues.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Oh, the webclient is definitely not threadsafe. The threads feature still has a lot of issues.

I don't see why it's on by default? Could you not detect CPU cores/threads and assume what to do from there?
Not much has changed.

Rod5's still Byond's Gangsta, so.

Byond's Gangsta
Threads aren't on by default anymore. You probably have it set in daemon.txt in your config.