ID:1856117

I began thinking about the Game Pathfinder as I enjoy playing it every so often and I used to be really active as a player and occasional Mod on multiple games across Byond.

I recently began Programming in a professional setting in the last 3 months (Java Programming Woohoo Big boy Jobs). And while skimming across Byond while having nostalgic memories an idea hit me. If i decided to begin making a Game based on Pathfinder (Or any D&D Based System) who would Be interested, and more importantly who would Be willing to help in their spare time?

I would be using All the core races and Classes, and would aspire to take it further by individualizing all the offshoot classes and making them their own Class all together. (Samurai, Ninja, etc.)

I would want to transfer all the mechanics of the game (Except for the turn based things) and make all the skills work as intended.

I know it's a big undertaking but I would love to see something like this take off and even become its own thing and evolve into its own thing.
You could do a nice text version of that game in probably a few weeks or more depending on skill level. You'd need a fully fledged artist though if you wanted to go whole hog.
well that's what i was Hoping for, Game design isn't something Im accustomed to mostly Banking, and other financial programs, but im sure i could research and trial and error (That's the entire learning process of Programming lol) but I would love this to take off in some way.
In response to Tommiec21
Wow that sounds really cool. If you're hanging out with tech like that then you've got the brain power required. In surplus I might even say.

Send me a message if you ever need help with ideas/code that type of thing.
Lol dont over think it, I just work for GE as a software programmer, I Personally can't use their tech for personal Less they immediately lay claim to it and will technically own it.
I've actually been wanting to make a game based on the theme of Pathfinder. To me though, an online RPG that uses the d20 system (unless the gameplay is ENTIRELY turn-based like Pathfinder actually is, though we can do more than that!) doesn't work all that well. It can use kind of a modified d20 system but eh... Either way, I've been wanting to do this for a while.
def not turn based, It would sand box and would encourage Team play by having Dungeon Bosses almost req it.

I have alot in mind because i Really want to do it.
I consider myself a fairly competent programmer, so maybe we could do a thing about this?
I have a base code that you can use. It might save you some time. However, its based on D&D 4E Rules and you might have to tweak it.
Ugh, 4th edition. I'd actually like to start from scratch, honestly.
I know, right? I don't know what I was thinking. 4E was simpler to implement compared to 3.5E and 5E.
My problem is I don't like working off of someone else's engine(s) and I'd rather write my own.
In response to Oondivinezin
Oondivinezin wrote:
My problem is I don't like working off of someone else's engine(s) and I'd rather write my own.

Not my conversation but can I just take a moment to point out the irony in this statement?
I'm not really certain what you mean by that, Zerconius. If you're talking about BYOND, I'd consider that a platform for development, not an engine.
In response to Oondivinezin
Heh... It is an engine.
So I have decided that I will be Starting this venture at the End of June due to me having a 4Week sprint that I have to do this month and This Project will be a B**ch to multitask with. So Whoever is willing to lend a helping hand I will be PM'ing you and Getting your info so we can talk more on the subject.
OMG this sounds so fun (and hot) can I help?! a GE programmer? this could be HUGE ;)