ID:1856279

Hey there,
It's been awhile since I've been on BYOND.Been busy with college, work and sports... Missed you all! :3

I felt a little rusty and decided to program a little bit, made this little demo that generates shadows and water reflection with overlays. (Could turn it into a library if anyone wants)

Demo

Anyways that's not the point of this topic! I really really really miss BYOND's contests and I checked to see if I missed anything since I came last time and...no...nothing happened!! So I've been thinking of starting a "Make a game in a week" contest or something like that just to liven up things here!

Would anyone be interested? Suggestions on the theme? Special rules?
We missed you too! (Also, those Shadows are pretty sweet). As for more contests, I would love to do one, so yeah, I'm 110% for it
The shadow-to-reflection is a bit jumpy. Looks great otherwise, though.
I'm sorry, but we've reached our fun allotment on BYOND. We'll have to budget for more in the future.
In response to WorldWideDuelist
WorldWideDuelist wrote:
We missed you too! (Also, those Shadows are pretty sweet). As for more contests, I would love to do one, so yeah, I'm 110% for it

NNAAAAHHwrote:
The shadow-to-reflection is a bit jumpy. Looks great otherwise, though.

Thank you! I've been messing with it a bit more and got a few people asking me to release it as a library! I even got someone paying me a membership! (Thank you Zagros! :) )
The shadow generated now works on 99% of icons big and small! I just need to clean it up a bit and comment the codes!
Shadow

As for the event. I'm still waiting for more responses! I really hope BYOND isn't THAT dead. There used to be so many entries in past contests!! I'll see what I can come up with!
Yes library please and welcome back Amir :)
In response to Kidpaddle45
I was wondering if it'd be possible with shadow generation to simulate a change in sun position for the generated shadows because this looks great and should be a lib.

As far as game in a week goes I can't icon only program so I could help out by programming game in a week but not really fully create one.
The shadows can change directions but it needs a lot of changes in angle rotation, pixel_x and pixel_y offset.
With the setup I have now it worked with all objects I tested. I'm gonna try and make it so the Generate_Shadow() proc can generate shadow in a preset angle maybe.

Like this: Generate_Shadow(Middle) or Generate_Shadow(West)

Can't guarantee it's gonna be in the first version of the lib.
As for the contest, there could be teams allowed and you could easily team up with someone else. + Games aren't solely judged by the art. ;)

In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
I was wondering if it'd be possible with shadow generation to simulate a change in sun position for the generated shadows because this looks great and should be a lib.

As far as game in a week goes I can't icon only program so I could help out by programming game in a week but not really fully create one.

There we go. Got it working.
Time to clean this up and turn it into a library.

Library
Get some 360 movement on them shadows now.
In response to Kidpaddle45
It looks like you're applying a rotation matrix for the shadows. You should try shear instead, so you might not have to worry as much about making it match up at the base.
I PMed you Kaiochao!
Bringing this back on topic.
Wish I had saw this way earlier, I already had something like this.

It relies on a method ter13 pointed out to make shadows. From that point on, it's just a matter of warping the matrix. It took a bit of fiddling to get working properly, but its pretty much the same result. I only use it on my players though, not buildings or anything.

That water is pretty sexy though. I'd be interested in the mirror effect as there are some things I'd like to use it for myself.

Welcome back! You've been missed. That shadow & reflection thing looks awesome, BTW, so I'm all for it being a library.
In response to Avidanimefan
Is that dynamic day/night with player shadows?
In response to Superbike32
Yes, it's related to the night and day system I implemented in my game. As the day passes the shadow changes to accommodate the time of the day.
Library released!
Shadow Generator:

Back on topic... Again!~
IS THAT A MAPLESTORY PIG