ID:1857454

Please advise me on whats wrong with this here sword swing, it looks odd to me so I would like an expert's view on it :Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Cheesy pants wrote:
Please advise me on whats wrong with this here sword swing, it looks odd to me so I would like an expert's view on it :Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yeah, it does look a little odd. I've been staring at it for like 5 minutes and I realized that there isn't someone holding the sword. That's a little odd, you think?

Naw, I'm only trolling you. I have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm no artist. =[
In response to Lavitiz
xD you joker, you
i think part of the beginning should disappear or fade as the sword swings further

i'm no artist but that's my input
Thanks for your input, I'll change it and see what I get
The tail of the swipe needs to take time to "catch up" to the sword. It should always be moving, but slowly at first, then at the speed of the sword. This delay in drag will cause a more "natural" swing effect.

What I mean is that the swing blur only gets to a certain size, depending on the speed of the object. Once it reaches that size, it stops growing and follows along at a constant speed until the object stops to where it catches up to the object and blends itself back into it. This is called Easing In and Out

The key to your mistake is that the tail of the swing sits still for a period of time, which makes it feel more like a paint stroke than a sword stroke.

Here is a fairly good example of what I mean. See how the early frames are small, but they're still moving, easing in. The middle frames don't grow any longer and just follow the path of the swing. And the ending frames just catch up to the slowing sword, easing out.

Here's an example of what I did, using the same method. It's all really easy stuff once you understand the mechanics behind how and why it works like it does.
In response to Solomn Architect
Ah, I saw what you meant after watching some anime and video game gifs in slow motion, thanks for your help