ID:1857784

Hey guys I've come back to Byond after a few months however i'm encountering a big issue in that any game i try to play is taking an extremely long time to download the resources.
To give you an idea I clicked to join a Space Station 13 server over an hour ago and so far the progress bar has only reached 5.5mb.
I tried with another game before this and the same thing happened, I've tried clearing the cache but it doesn't seem to have helped.
I think this has to do with everyones server, not with byond itself.
Without specifics it's pretty hard to determine what's going on. I do know that testing one of the SS13 servers came up to be a 66.5MB download which is fairly large for BYOND.

That particular server took a little less than 10 minutes to fully download and load up.

Can you run SpeedTest and post the results?
http://www.speedtest.net/

For example, mine is:

Hey guys thanks for replying, the game finished loading within an hour or so of me posting this meaning it went from about 10% to 100% in roughly the same amount of time than it took to get from 0% to 10%, no clue why.

Maximus these are the results for the test i just performed, my speed is generally pretty consistent and i actually checked it when i was having the issue to see if it was my net however the results were the same as this give or take a few mb.
I'm going to assume it was the host upload speed or a hiccup in their hosting. But, then again, SS13 is one of the largest games to download.
The size of the download shouldn't impact the download speed should it?
Either way I hope you're right and that it was an isolated incident, thanks Maximus.
In response to Arthadonis
Have you tried to play any other game?
Do you know which server it was?

The size doesn't affect speed, it affects how long it takes to download, but that's obvious.

So far today, the server I tried to play of SS13 was the longest download of any BYOND game I have ever tried to play in the past few months. That's saying a lot since I've got probably the worst down/up speeds in all of New York state for the whopping $45 USD a month I pay.

I would suggest you could try to delete your cache and attempt to redownload that specific server again. If the same results apply, ask the server for the specific host details (up/down speed, location, etc.). If it doesn't happen again, I could only imagine it as server hiccup the time you tried to play.
I tried a game before hand along with another ss13 server before waiting it out for the one i joined and they both seemed to be taking as long, i'm downloading the resources for a Z-universe game at the moment and it's taking a while for it aswell although it doesn't seem to be as bad as it was.

I cleared the cache last night before downloading the ss13 server but it didn't help. I checked my firewall and byond is on the allowed list, i'm thinking of just reinstalling byond and seeing if that does anything.
This same thing is happening to me. My download speed plummeted down to NOTHING, and it was out of the blue, too. My internet was unaffected, my download speed is still the same, all is well except Byond. Its as if my internet drivers were crippling it, or something. I don't know how to fix this.
Bumping because I'm having this issue, wondering if anyone has a fix
Can you state what SS13 or other game server you are trying.

And to test a theory i have, try /vg/ then try /tg/ and tell me how they compare.

I think this is an issue with OVH, a common cheap server host, throttling uploads on unknown traffic or unknown ports, assuming it to be bittorrent or file sharing (something they have a huge issue with as late), /vg/ and most other servers use ovh or rent space off of a retailer who ultimately rents from OVH.

/tg/ on the other hand uses another host, because of that issue.
I tried three servers. The first was Yogstation, then Colonial Marines, then Hippie Station. They were all extremely laggy if I did manage to get in, yet no other BYOND games had this problem.
can you tell me how /vg/ and /tg/ do?

/tg/ https://tgstation13.org

/vg/ http://ss13.pomf.se/
They're both actually pretty fast at downloading compared to what I was experiencing, will post again when it's fully downloaded.
/tg/ is smooth and has no problems for me, yet /vg/ still had a little bit of lag when I tried to observe the station as a ghost.