ID:1857854

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Firefox 38.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Spanish letters, accents and "ç" don't work in BYOND Pager.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Open the BYOND pager, try to use a spanish letter, accents or "ç" while chatting with someone.

Expected Results: To the spanish letters, accents and "ç" to work.

Actual Results: They don't work and return unicode characters or something like that. http://a.pomf.se/qsxhlz.jpg

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.

When does the problem NOT occur? Never.
Is your operating system/environment set to Spanish or English?
Okay, I just tried this and it doesn't work. I switched Windows 7 to Portuguese (Brazil) and using ç does not work in the pager.

I'm guessing the pager might also be limited to ANSI, just like the games are.

At least for games, I believe it is possible to use some kind of dynamic font switching system to simulate Unicode using ANSI, although it would be entirely self-contained, and couldn't be copied or exported directly.
In response to Multiverse7
http://a.pomf.se/bejscc.jpg
I noticed that if I send messages through the BYOND website they don't break in the pager.
In response to Morphi
Well, that just means that it may be specifically the input which is limited to only ANSI, in which case it seems like this could be fixed somehow.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
in which case it seems like this could be fixed somehow.

The issue is that when you make an application for windows using the windows framework byond is using, its either full unicode or full not unicode. Its really hard to do mid way stuff.

So fixing this in the application requires rewriting everything. Since the current system assumes 1 letter equals 1 byte for the purpose of memory allocation and network stuff. but in unicode 1 letter could equal 1 to 8 bytes so you have rewrite the entire network back end for both pager, and byond games, since they most likely use a shared system, as well as rewrite everything that handles text and strings. To take this in to account.

It should be on byond's todo list, but it will mostly fit somewhere with some of the other bigger projects that are back burnered, like 64bits, multi-threading, etc.
One thing I think would be interesting--I'm not pursuing it now but I like the idea--is adding UTF-8 support and having each string object store a wide version as needed for operations like text2ascii(), copytext(), etc. The wide version would only allow for char codes up to 16 bits, but that really should be plenty.