Thank you all so much. We'll be sure not to disappoint.
Will players be able to host their own servers, or is that entirely on you?
We'll be taking care of the hosting. The worlds share savefiles and we're planning for each world to be supported by four servers, with a 300 player cap for each-- though the numbers are more than likely going to change once we're live and can measure performance.
This looks amazing. I would love to see information about how to do cross server set ups like that get put up somewhere on the forums. I've had a project that's always been more of an ambitious dream than anything else ever since I first started learning DM because of things like that.

I was always a little leery of whether it would be possible, but I see for sure it is now. I really have to applaud everyone involved in working on Severed World, it could very well mean so many wonderful things. It's a great step for its developers, and BYOND as a whole in my opinion.
this really just set the bar for all byond games...
In response to Toddab503
One way is an offloaded MySQL database, or MySQL on each box with replication.

I can't speak for these guys but I hope that's how they're doing it.
Another question, are there any benefits being a BYOND Member in the game? (:
In the future, Syxoul, but it won't be benefits so much as a tribute to the engine. Perhaps we can have BYOND members spawn with a 'Dream Maker' gear set :)
Well, if you ever decide that you're looking for a system admin to manage the hardware for your servers, I'm always looking for work in the field I actually enjoy. Being a sys-admin beats being a cashier.
I can't seem to decide, between the "Early Bird" and "Content Galore" pledge.
Well... I know which one I'd pick. ;)

Though I am worried about hitting our goal-- hopefully we get enough funding in the next couple of days to give us more Kickstarter exposure. Most of the funding thus far has came from Eternia players and BYOND forum goers, and that's finite.

We do have a couple of articles lined up with gaming websites. Hoping they'll be live ASAP.
Well, considering you've broke $1,000 in a couple hours, I'm sure you'll get some attention.
Don't forget to update your IndieDB page too, might get a couple of people from there.
How people can support Chance, is beyond me..
In response to Zach Reznor
Zach Reznor wrote:
Don't forget to update your IndieDB page too, might get a couple of people from there.

We're just waiting on the post to be authorized. :)
We realized that the £10 option was a bit too much for those that wanted to just support, so we added a reward another for the minimum price. Those that back for £1 will be added to the credits!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378072654/ severed-world-pixel-art-mmorpg-pc-and-mobile-game

Backing, even for a small amount, increases our rankings in the popularity which is extremely important during these first few days. Kickstarter values the number of backers over amount funded. So if you have a credit card and want to chip in, that'd be really awesome!
In response to Lerithian
Lerithian wrote:

We support Chance because his game is the game that will pierce the interwebs!
In response to Lerithian
Lerithian wrote:

Why? What's the issue? Page me if you want.
Looks sweet
Should market this on places like Kongregate, or to people that have played similar games that died, such as "Fantasy Online".
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7 8 9