A digital copy implies you have internet access to download said digital copy.
You'll be able to play the game on ostensibly any device - this is a fact.

I'd like to ask why the wording is important at all?

Sure, let's say I agree with you.

We can still deliver digital 'download' copies that can be run on the desktop natively. Adobe Air and other similar resources exist specifically for this. Basically we'd be wrapping the byond-served iframe around a minimalist .exe file with downloaded files being cached locally. We're still exploring this, but it is an option in the future.
GatewayRa wrote:
Doohl wrote:
I'd like to ask why the wording is important at all?

Wording is almost always important. Semantics is everything.

Semantics are everything.*
Now that this thread has turned into a Q&A, here is my question:

I am a casual player, and I do not wish to 'no-life/24-7'. Is your game friendly to casual players?
In response to Master rla
The game caters to both casual and hardcore players in the form of being able to modify difficulty, taking quests at your own pace, and optional highly-competitive PvP. You won't ever have to attack another player in this game if you don't want to.
In response to Gakumerasara
Gakumerasara wrote:
Clearly you folks just like to hear yourselves talk. I asked a simple question with a straightforward answer, which was answered by one of the developers (thank you; even if answered snidely, it was an answer).

Even after Doohl answered you, you went on about how the costs of the game were unprecedented and how you were raising an eyebrow at it. That's probably why we, the "peanut gallery", gave you more responses. And to answer your question, yes, you were the only person who raised an eyebrow at it. Everyone else on the site who's actually done commissioned work on a project before recognizes it as a normal game budget.

I didn't ask the peanut gallery to come and give me a lecture on game development

And I don't recall anyone asking for an interrogator to come in and verify the legitimacy of the projects funding. Thanks for volunteering though.

While I support the game, all you're doing now is actively turning me off from it.

I think you were already turned off from it for whatever reason, which is why you entered the discussion accusing people of making $20,000 "disappear". I can see if Chance was known for shady business practices or something, but he isn't, so pretty much all of your posts were just unwarranted skepticism, and then you lashed out at us just because we didn't join in with your unwarranted skepticism.

I don't know why, but any time someone on this site manages to do everything right, there's one or two people who literally come out of nowhere to try and find some non-existent flaw with it. The exact same thing happens whenever Silk Games blogs about a project. Your post wasn't even criticism, it was just pure bullshit. I know this is Kickstarter, but as I said before, Chance already has a reputation, and if it was a bad one, we would all know it by now, including you since you've been here "over a decade". There was absolutely no reason to suspect anything shady going on here, but you felt the need to, after 8 months of forum inactivity, to appear out of nowhere and question them on where their money is going.

Jesus Christ, just go back to wherever you were for 8 months. You don't have to worry about trying to deface the campaign, GatewayRa already has it covered.
There are many ways to run an HTML5 game directly on a computer, with or without a special program. If you have a .html file on your computer and run it, what does it do? It opens the file in your browser, locally. Browsers work on every operating system.

All you have to do is create an exe (one for each operating system - this becomes the "digital copy") that has a simple browser pane that only loads a certain page (the game).

With the way the BYOND webclient works, your exe would load a basic html file with an iframe in it that loads the URL for the game. Browsers are pretty good at loading URLs.

If you think this is "streaming" the game, sure it technically is, but a game like World of Warcraft "streams" you the content and can only be played online, but does that mean the game doesn't have a digital copy?

In the case of the exes mentioned above, the browser would cache the files, just as World of Warcraft would save the game files after being downloaded (streamed). The methods are very similar, they just use different technologies.
GatewayRa wrote:
That's still streaming.

You got me there, checkmate.
In response to Doohl
This is really exciting news for BYOND as a whole. I don't do a good enough job of getting involved with the community here, but from one developer hoping to achieve some measure of success as well, a huge congratulations on making it this far and I wish you guys the best for BYOND's sake. :]
In response to EmpirezTeam
Doohl:
No problem; and thanks for the clarification. Also, sorry in advance...

EmpirezTeam wrote:
Even after Doohl answered you, you went on about how the costs of the game were unprecedented and how you were raising an eyebrow at it. That's probably why we, the "peanut gallery", gave you more responses. And to answer your question, yes, you were the only person who raised an eyebrow at it. Everyone else on the site who's actually done commissioned work on a project before recognizes it as a normal game budget.

$20,000 is unprecedented for BYOND development, whether you wish it were or not. Second, your anecdotal response was completely unnecessary; thus, welcome to the peanut gallery. Third, if you read carefully (I know, reading comprehension might not be your strong suit), you'd notice that I "raised" an eyebrow at the initial statement, not Doohl's explanation of it. My response was to explain why I asked the question in the first place. ... but way to answer a question that was never asked; bravo.

And I don't recall anyone asking for an interrogator to come in and verify the legitimacy of the projects funding. Thanks for volunteering though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking a question about the legitimacy of a project, especially if there's money involved. As you seem hell-bent on impressing upon me just how much you know about development in the real world, I thought you would have known this already.

I think you were already turned off from it for whatever reason, which is why you entered the discussion accusing people of making $20,000 "disappear". I can see if Chance was known for shady business practices or something, but he isn't, so pretty much all of your posts were just unwarranted skepticism, and then you lashed out at us just because we didn't join in with your unwarranted skepticism.

You're welcome to think what you like, but then you would be wrong. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "disappear" so as to not hurt your delicate feelings, but the basis of the question would have still been the same. I simply wanted to know how a BYOND game, even a quality one, required an initial investment of $20,000. As far as actual cost, I don't care if the game cost $5 or $50,000 to make; it looks like a fun game that I might enjoy. What I really suspected was that $20,000 represented (self paid wage)x(days)x(months) and was rather arbitrary. Apparently that is not the case, but even if it were, that wouldn't be a bad thing. I was quite simply curious.

However, this backlash against a legitimate question from an obvious fanboy DOES turn me off from the game. If I buy the game and can look forward to playing alongside folks such as yourself, then perhaps I shouldn't bother dropping any money on it regardless of how fun it looks.

words

Jesus Christ, just go back to wherever you were for 8 months. You don't have to worry about trying to deface the campaign, GatewayRa already has it covered.

My post wasn't criticism, nor did I ever say he was doing anything shady or that he stole the money. (That would make no sense anyway; who would he steal it from, himself after he invested it?) But feel free to keep projecting if it makes you feel better. I support the game at present; however I don't support people such as yourself. And don't you worry your fragile little head; I don't hang around the BYOND forums much. I wouldn't have come here at all if I hadn't gotten a random announcement in my Pager's news feed. (P.s. - Advertisement, even within BYOND (see: Pager), will bring in people who are curious about the project; not everyone who asks a question is a troll.) And finally, I'll agree to stay off the forums for another 8 months, if you agree to go back to your pay-to-win* Roleplaying game for a similar duration.

Regards,
G

* from Eternia's BYOND page {"
Those that subscribe and support the development of Eternia wil be rewarded with:
- A subscriber sword and 10'000 gold when creating a new character.
- Access to a Mystery Chest, which can be spotted in the various villages. When clicked, a random item is gained, limited to one daily use.
- Access to the subscriber store. Grab yourself unique clothing, weapons, and other items.
- Improved loot ratios during the various public events.
- Ability to found your very own guild."}
Wow, and this is all from Byond? Nice job I say! I can see all the hard work you and Doohl done to make it awesome.
Man this makes me sad. a 3D game and its made on byond but its not about naruto or DBZ. when the fuck are good naruto games gonna come out. NNG is the only game thats even well. And Z Universe is good for maybe this year and mext year. But we need to see a naruto game that has like. All the clans, a good class system that would depend on healing damage tanking etc, an actually good bijuu system and icons that would actually take you into the naruto world.
And NFF is a silly excuse for a naruto game. The graphics on that game sucks. You cant evem ride your trees as a senju. and you cant summon 20 meter tall wood pillars :< we just need an emphasis on better anime games rather than custom anime games that we pulled outve our asses. naruto has made it really far, farther than any manga ive ever read and i read sailor moon since day 1 for gods sake. Lummox-san make a 3D Naruto MMORPG when ur done with this game pls kthxbai
In response to Captain Gigglemonster
You're not going to because almost every aspiring developer on BYOND is interested in creating original content. Dedicated developers, nine out of ten times, aren't going to go for themes that'll predominantly attracting kids without money; especially now that BYOND is starting to show it's real money earning potential as a development platform.
b-but i like naruto :<
Then start learning how to program, because I don't see someone that's already adept at programming creating a Naruto game from the ground up with the kind of dedication needed to reach Severed World levels.

Anyways, we're going off topic.
im not really a coder myself. im an iconner and ive had 5 years of experience but i cant find ANYONE who is interested in making a 3D naruto game and im realy pissed off that naruto evolution shut down ;-;
Captain Gigglemonster wrote:
Man this makes me sad. a 3D game and its made on byond but its not about naruto or DBZ. when the fuck are good naruto games gonna come out. NNG is the only game thats even well. And Z Universe is good for maybe this year and mext year. But we need to see a naruto game that has like. All the clans, a good class system that would depend on healing damage tanking etc, an actually good bijuu system and icons that would actually take you into the naruto world.

Are you the creator of this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7TlDiqJaeg
Oh no that's Rod, don't remember whats his Byond name but its definitely not that.

@Gakumerasara funnily enough that's not pay to win. It would be if 10k crowns mattered which hah doesn't matter at all. That's like giving $0.1 for being a member of a school club, swords pretty bad too. The mystery box is close but isn't pay to win. As by definition Pay-To-Win is when you pay money and are directly given power, which doesn't happen. Honestly can tell you didn't play Eternia: Roleplay but I digress, maybe you saw something Pay To Win in that that I didn't.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9