I'm glad to hear that everything is working for you. How long of an ethernet cable do you need to get from your computer to the modem?
Not sure, but I may have found another to use for now but its long enough to go from my living room to my bathroom so to speak.
I'm more asking because, if you're interested, I can make you a custom length ethernet cable and send it to you for free. I've got a spool of CAT5e sitting in my closet collecting dust, as my whole house is wired with CAT6. (Higher quality cable. CAT5e is still great) I've also got a lot of credit with Stamps.com unused so it wouldn't cost me anything to do for you.
Ah, thanks for the offer but I should be good for now. I appreciate the offer though.
Keep in mind, anything over 100 meters (around 330 feet or so) will be lossy and unreliable, but you should never really use cables longer than 25 meters (83 feet). If you need to accomplish further distances you'd be better off installing a central switch and running cable from that.
I already have it covered, thanks.
In response to Nadrew
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of a ten to twenty foot cable anyways. From what he said, the router seems to be in the same room. :P

Also, you can easily go past 83 feet without any form of packet loss if you use CAT6. Which my entire house is wired with. It took my Dad and I a while, but every room has at least two ethernet lines, one phone line, and one coax line.
Yeah, the update to CAT6 is well worth it for larger scale wiring, especially if you don't have repeaters/switches inline for longer runs. It's still best to keep single runs as short as you can for maximum stability.

But these days, wifi has made whole-house ethernet wiring a bit of a waste. The house I used to live in was wired up pretty good too because I did it before I used wifi for anything (had a desktop and no mobile devices, a couple of game consoles with ethernet only). The only issue I have with wifi is lack of stability, it doesn't take much to falter a wifi signal to the point of it causing a connectivity hiccup. Not having to run hundreds of feet of wire is worth the tradeoff though.
In response to Nadrew
Ehh. I'll never not wire a house for ethernet if I'm going to live in it for at least a year, and I'm allowed to. If a device is capable of being wired, I want it wired. You've got no need to tell me the best practices because my Dad's been in the telecommunications/audio-video industries for twenty-plus years, and he started teaching me when I was three or four. Anyways, if we're going to talk about networking we should either take it to PMs, or create a different thread since this thread's issue is resolved.
Page: 1 2 3