ID:1860104

Not that we haven't all read enough topics about leveling systems/ideas, but I'd like to throw my opinion/idea into the mix.

As much as the traditional leveling goes well in games with a RPG element, I like it when games branch out from that. Demon's souls had a really interesting take on it and I love that they've stuck with that take in all their 'spiritual successors'. The Elder Scrolls games have had sorta similar take on it, where both series have the stats of a person depict their level.

Now, what I haven't seen is a nice mix between the two. I like the idea of stats controlling your level and the idea of your level being a effecting factor on your stats. Originally, I thought, I would take a experience level and a combat level, which I think Runescape does something similar(never played more than a few days on Runescape). Having quest and task(killing enemies, preforming 'jobs', ect).

Today, however, I thought of another take that I cannot recall having seen in a game(please, feel free to enlighten me if you're aware of a current usage of this take on the leveling system). Where as you would 'level up' in traditional means, by undergoing quest and defeating foes, that level would have very little effect on your actual overall strength, but still play a major role in the game. Instead of the levels giving you stats, it merely increases the maximum stat limit. ie: each stat would be limited to level*10, how you would increase those stats would be based on 'feats' done, which would likely link to achievement-esc events. ie: You completed a quest-line, you now have the feat/achievement 'Completed Quest-line A' which is worth 3 stat points(for lack of a better name at the moment), used to increase a stat. As the game progresses in difficulty/quest length, they would be worth more. Of course, I thought, you'd have to include the classic stat-track feats(kill ten players, defeated a boss without dying/using items, ect). This would, I feel, cause players to be more interactive with leveling up their character, both level and stat-wise. The strongest of players being those no-lifers that can grind levels and feats to level their characters to perfection.

Any thoughts on the topic? What's your preferred method of leveling in a game?
The level*10 limit for each stat bothers me, because it suggests very high stat numbers. IMO, balance is very difficult to achieve when most stats are allowed to get too far out of single digits.
NNAAAAHH wrote:
This would, I feel, cause players to be more interactive with leveling up their character, both level and stat-wise. The strongest of players being those no-lifers that can grind levels and feats to level their characters to perfection.

I'd consider what audience you're attempting to attract using a leveling system like this. If you place a heavy time-cost on leveling, then you'll alienate casual players (who, likely as not, are going to be the most prolific type of player to sign up).

Hemorrhage too many players, and even the ones who find this system appealing will quit because there's no one with whom to interact. Especially if a core component of gameplay is PvP or anything that pits players against one another.
In response to Lummox JR
It was a example, first that came to mind. For instance, HP would likely be leveled at 90+(level*10). Basic stats would be cliser to level*2, then minor stats(if chosen to adapt) would be level*5, ect.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have stats that can go into triple digits at late-game levels in games, even thousands in the case of multiple-playthrough games.
In response to PixelScientist
I don't have anything locked in and I'm not sure what specifics I want to implement in a system like this, I don't want it available so you can level up within the first few minutes of grinding, but I wouldn't want players spending hours and hours trying to gain one level.
I wrote up a mock for a tabletop RPG that used a leveling system sort of like this. Skill based games are harder to balance levels for than level based games for several pretty easy to identify reasons. What I did was grouped skills into categories like Combat, Engineering, Piloting (it was space-based), Exploration, ect and using a formula to give an apparent level for each of those categories.

The reason for this is because I quickly saw that a party of high level traders would be very inept in combat situations. So having a high level in the Diplomacy category wouldn't effect the recommended level of Combat encounters.

This allows the GM to tailor a campaign solely on how the players choose to interact and grow with their universe. I always know my limits on how strong of what type of encounters to throw at parties and the more I talk about it, the more I really want to open up the file and keep working on it... Lol.
I preferr a lot of customization with my stat leveling systems. Instead of a hard core cap, I usually let players configure a few stat points with each level, and also allow them to earn stat points outside levels as well.
For me leveling should follow some basic rules.

1. Advances in level should be granted based on my actions in that domain.

Simple but sometimes avoided. I'm talking about games like Eve Online that grant you levels based on how long you've been playing which doesn't have anything to do with what you actually spend your game time doing. Do games like this ignore the rule of thumb to just be differently? Possibly. I'm not gonna say.

2. I shouldn't be punished in one domain for having spent time in another.

I shouldn't be disallowed from doing a quest that grants piloting exp until I've done enough repair/maintence levels. I chose piloting for a reason, don't give out advantages to people who are out of that domain I'm in. They can have repair quests. Gimme pilot quests.

3. RISK/REWARD. If I take more risk I should get more exp/levels. I hate finding a monster to fight that has ridiculous combat stats and only grants a few more exp than a cave rat. COME ON.
In response to Zecronious
As for the risk/reward, I noticed a lot of the lack of in Bloodborne. Early on there's a mid-game monster you can fight, extremely difficult, that doesn't really give you anything. Figured he would've been guarding something. Made me feel empty for a minute.

Skills should progress through practice, surely.

I don't believe anything should stop progress of the game, focus or lack thereof in a trait included.
For players base. The best levelling systems are simple for player to understand, few stats, and rewarding. Make all those three work. Once that system works you can apply some more advance stuff into it that might take the player longer to understand but by than hes already hooked
I don't really mind a stat system being diverse in terms of which stats are available. I mind one that allows the numbers to get really out of balance. One simple example would be one where damage done on attack scales with strength, and the strength stat has a wide range.

Except where crafting is concerned, that kind of thing doesn't make sense. In battle, luck is an extremely prevalent factor, and even beating up on a weakling should be dangerous if they have any capacity at all to surprise you.
Sword of Mana did it best.
In response to Ganite
Explain, please. I haven't played.
Whenever you level up, 12 points are distributed among different
attributes. Depending on the Level Up Type, the points will be spread
differently. The following chart shows the point spread. Note that if you
choose Random the 12 points will be distributed randomly, with 8 of those
points devoted to HP/MP and 4 given to the other statistics (Thanks to Terence
for clarification).
Depending on the combinations of Level Up Types that you choose, you may
receive a Class Change (explained further in the following section).

more info: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/914616-sword-of-mana/faqs/27319