ID:186088

This computer is about 3 years old and has 512mb RAM.

I want to buy some more but I don't know exactly what I'm doing.

My board lets me have 2 memory sticks. Everest claims this:

DIMM1: Hyundai HYMD232 646A8-H 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

DIMM2: Micron Tech. 8VDDT3264AG-265CA 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

I'm trying to up my memory to about 2gb if possible. Should I be hunting for 1024 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory x 2? If so then I found some but they say something about 266MHz and the ones Everest showed me say 2.5-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz
If you want to buy memory, you want to buy the fastest that your motherboard can handle. Could you tell us what motherboard you have? In your motherboard manual, it should say what kind of memory speeds is supported. (PC2100, PC3200, etc..) Does it support dual channel?

You also will never need to have more than one gig of memory right now, since most games and programs never need to use that much. I suggest you scrap your current memory and get the fastest memory (I think PC3200 would be its max, but I might be wrong.) your motherboard can support. You should get two 512 MB sticks. (So it can run in dual channel, if it supports it) Lower timings (the x-x-x-x thing) means faster memory, and low latency. Make sure they are identical sticks.

~~> Dragon Lord
In response to Unknown Person
The motherboard is MSI MS-6382. I don't have my manual though.

I Googled it and found this:

http://www.memoryx.net/msimsmome55.html

Would those be appropriate?
In response to DeathAwaitsU
I did a google too and found out your motherboard only supports up to PC2100 speeds (266 MHz). It would be a waste of money to buy higher speed memory (unless you wanted to buy a whole new computer). So when you buy your memory, make sure you tell the person you want PC2100 memory, or if you're buying online, make sure it's clocked DDR266 or PC2100. Also, the lower the latency, the better.

~~> Dragon Lord
If I purchase this memory stick twice, I should get 2gbs right?

1GB MSI Motherboard PC2100 nonECC DDR DIMM (p/n MSI-XDA1024)
In response to DeathAwaitsU
Yeah, you should. I don't suggest you buy two gigs of memory, especially if the memory is pretty slow. (Since your motherboard can't support anything faster). It would take more time to send info to all of the DIMMs, and with more memory container, it would have to send more scattered info. After one gig, you won't see much of a difference in use, unless you play games which are very memory dependant.

You can buy two gigs of memory if you want, but there are some drawbacks. Maybe the increase of memory would nullify the slowness of transfer, it's up to you.

~~> Dragon Lord
I'm currently on AMD Athlon XP, 1533 MHz (11.5 * 133) 1800+ processor.

Can someone point me to a guide to upgrade my processor? My motherboard is MSI MS-6382.
Unknown Person wrote:
I did a google too and found out your motherboard only supports up to PC2100 speeds (266 MHz). It would be a waste of money to buy higher speed memory (unless you wanted to buy a whole new computer). So when you buy your memory, make sure you tell the person you want PC2100 memory, or if you're buying online, make sure it's clocked DDR266 or PC2100. Also, the lower the latency, the better.

Tell me DeathAwaitsU...would you be willing to spend...$600?

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/kin2gbpc26re.html

A 2GB stick, at 266 MHz PC2100... everything checks out.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Despite what people think about my financial state, I wouldn't be willing to spend $600 <_<
In response to Hiead
It would be more price-effective to simply build a new system -- you could easily get a system with 2GB of RAM (the entire system!) for near that price.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
It would be more price-effective to simply build a new system -- you could easily get a system with 2GB of RAM (the entire system!) for near that price.

Near...but a little bit upwards. And Death doesn't want to spend even that much, so that's out.

And besides, most people here haven't ever attempted case modding I'm sure, let alone building a system.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
With online stores building a custom system has never been easier, it takes almost no previous experience to do it nowadays. As for the main topic, don't overdo your motherboard -- it's old, keeping your RAM at or below 1GB is probably best. Don't want to harm your motherboard!
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
With online stores building a custom system has never been easier, it takes almost no previous experience to do it nowadays.

Heh, technology is cool. But for the most part of what I've seen, you select various parts from various sections of a site, and add them to your "cart." Some inexperienced builder might forget something important like cooling fans, or graphic/sound cards(my dad thought they were the same thing as computer processors).

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Near...but a little bit upwards. And Death doesn't want to spend even that much, so that's out.

And besides, most people here haven't ever attempted case modding I'm sure, let alone building a system.

Hiead

I built a decent one for about 800-900 dollars. :) (But this is including an operating system. (Win XP)
In response to Hiead
Most sites plaster extras you should buy all over a products page, and warn you quite a few times before you buy it.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Most sites plaster extras you should buy all over a products page, and warn you quite a few times before you buy it.

Hmm... I wouldn't know too much about this really. Most of the time I've shopped computer stuff online, I was looking for a part/parts in particular, like a heatsink, faster processor, graphics card, audio card...you get it. I've not actually built a PC online completely.

Hiead