ID:1860972

Just to start off i'm not skilled in programming or too skilled in the art department either, its just an idea i was working (maybe still am) for a little rpgish game i was working on.

So i was thinking about using the MOBAs progression and shoving that into a rpg setting. using mobas 4 button simple layout for skills, just having 8 skills per class and you can mix match to make your own build. everytime you level up like in mobas you can put it into a skill and power it up. say maybe 60-50 level cap and you with your "ultimate" getting 10 points and mixing your other 3 between 20-20-10 or 25-15-10 something like that point distributions wise.(as an example) Having all that it gives a little power towards your skills, wither they be an active steroid or a skill shot or AOE (damage or heal)

I was thinking instead of having main stats being passively growing through leveling you would get items to use as the main stats. and every time you level up you would get your skill points for your four skills then you get item point, which you can use to level up your items. Using your items to power up your heal, damage(including magic), healing power and defense. So say your level 30 with lets say, and you have an item which is a tank item and you put an item point into that piece the progression would go (this is just an example)

12 stam --> 15stam
45 physical armor -->50 physical armor
12 magic armor --> 15 magic armor.

this is just a low level example say for every 5 points put into an armor with a max of 10 which means you can upgrade your whole item set 6 slots twice and each 5 points put into an item gives a unique passive or a normal one depending on the item, kinda like how MOBAS have on there item except you level up the item to unlock the passives which power your character.

15 stam--> --> 20stam
50 physical armor--> 65 physical armor
15 magic armor --> 25 magical armor

Unique passive: Every time you are hit with physical damage you gain a shield for every 0.5% of the damage done stacking up to 5 times

just an example.

But instead of being played in an arena setting you just in a world like a traditional RPG group up to fight bosses, or go into the PVP areas of the map and fight other players. group with others to gank in pvp areas or just because you found a cave to explore and see what kind of items you can find to add to your collection.

i was also thinking about what if you have a common item and find a rare item, you can go destroy your common you have points in at an enchanters store for gold to destroy the item and give you your points back so you can put them into this new item you got.

But I don't know, it's just a thought i had.
The progression for your typical MOBA/ARTS is very fast-paced and linear, banking mostly on the fact that you're not stuck with one character and have the option to pick other characters between games to give more variety.

On the flip side, the progression for a typical RPG factors in a lot of variability within the same class to keep things interesting. You'll be playing the same character for upwards of hundreds of hours in many mainstream MMOG's.

I think the Diablo series handles what you're wanting very well. Each class has a pool of abilities that you can use, upgrade and swap outside of combat. The combat style remains very fast paced and fun, but maintains the RPG elements necessary such as skill points and equipment.

Having items that level up with your character presents a few tricky problems that you have to solve, mainly balancing the effectiveness of finding items versus leveling them up.

I would leave items like that for the end-game where you're not really questing in search of better gear any more. Having an "Epic" equipment set that gains levels and comes with its own stats and abilities that can be upgraded as it progresses would make for a very interesting mechanic set.
Yeah, I'm still conceptualizing ideas right now. This is just one of them I had written down. Although, I would love to do this one. It really needs more work, work I don't think I could do as a solo project, considering my lacking in the skill department. Maybe somewhere later when I'm more comfortable with DM I will revisit the idea. Plus its always good to have it written down on the forums,just in case I lose my notepad or have to reformat my computer.
In response to Superman12
Superman12 wrote:
Yeah, I'm still conceptualizing ideas right now. This is just one of them I had written down. Although, I would love to do this one. It really needs more work, work I don't think I could do as a solo project, considering my lacking in the skill department. Maybe somewhere later when I'm more comfortable with DM I will revisit the idea. Plus its always good to have it written down on the forums,just in case I lose my notepad or have to reformat my computer.

Cloud storage is the greatest life saver in the universe.