ID:1863319

Anyone upgrade yet ? if so how is it.

http://i.imgur.com/kwSbEl5.png
I get why Microsoft wants to distance itself from 8, which sucked, but the irony here is that traditionally all their even-numbered releases suck (from ME onward, anyway). I can't fathom their branding here and it makes me concerned that they're going to screw up even worse with this one.

Oh well. When I become a supervillain I plan to nuke Redmond anyway.
I've been using the developer preview for a bit off and on and it's pretty solid.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Looking for a sidekick?

In response to Kozuma3
I'm looking for more of an administration, so I'm considering cabinet positions. I already have a Minister of Compliance lined up.
As far as I know, that is only a notification for you to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10. You'll be able to fill in your email and you will get a notification on your email and device once Windows 10 is ready to be downloaded and installed, which is 29th of July, if I am not mistaking.
I use the technical preview and I enjoy it, even though Microsoft Edge doesn't count as a version of IE, so <meta> tags can't detect it. Otherwise, I really enjoy it; I love its compatibility with all of my favorite programs and the interface looks really good.
As far as I'm aware Win 10 is "out" to the masses 29th July.

I just hope this another XP type release, smooth silky fast. A bit like how 7 was a major fix for Vista.. hopefully this will ve our fix for Win 8/8.1
Time for Windows master race to finally wipe out the last 5 or 6 remaining Mac users.

Rest in pikachus Apple 1976-2015
We've been strongly encouraged to use Win10 at work. I currently have it on a mobile phone, tablet, and laptop.

It's a decent mix of the best of Win8.1 and Win7. It's still fairly app-centric, but I can't imagine us moving away from that model any time in the near future. The UI is intuitive and visually appealing, Project Spartan is a decent browser, and I'm actually digging the native apps. The Start menu is back, but it's a bit of a hybrid of prior Start bars and the app-focus Start screen to which Win8 defaults sans override.

I'm also digging the interconnectivity. Being able to play Xbox One games on Win10 devices is pretty cool. The SmartGlass app has been overhauled as well. Fullscreen apps are optional, which is so much nicer; I definitely am not a fan of those.

Be aware that there are some drivers issues (particularly for those that haven't been updated for the new OS). A lot of my colleagues run into occasional problems with multiple monitors. Touchpads on laptops tend to be overly sensitive, and I've been running into all sorts of frustrations using the mouse buttons installed on it: one half don't function at all while the other half triple-clicks.

Disclosure: I'm working on some of this stuff.

Lummox JR wrote:

But, but, how will I then make money which I can then donate to help support BYOND?

Edit:
A.T.H.K wrote:
As far as I'm aware Win 10 is "out" to the masses 29th July.

Raimo wrote:
[...] which is 29th of July, if I am not mistaking.

RTM is in 42 days! That sounds like it coincides with your date.
Is the tech preview still available? I wonder if you'll be able to upgrade from the tech preview to the full thing fluidly.
The tech preview will simply update into the full version when the time comes.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Is the tech preview still available? I wonder if you'll be able to upgrade from the tech preview to the full thing fluidly.

To my knowledge, the tech preview is still available. That said, I haven't actually used that site.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I get why Microsoft wants to distance itself from 8, which sucked, but the irony here is that traditionally all their even-numbered releases suck (from ME onward, anyway). I can't fathom their branding here and it makes me concerned that they're going to screw up even worse with this one.

Applying for minister of somewhat questionable research here.

The reason MS decided to brand Windows 10 instead of Windows 9 is because Win95 and Win98 both are based off the same architecture. Windows versions often report in many pieces of software with the full build number of the OS following the OS name and major version in a string. Thus, it's really common for people to check for OS version using a startswith(). MS decided to avoid potential conflicts by avoiding a "Windows 9" string cropping up in specific programs and accidentally throwing their latest OS into "Your OS is too shitty to run this" mode in various unsafe programs that MS themselves developed.
In response to Ter13
Holy crap. That makes way too much sense. Sadly.
I took the plunge with no protection and installed the tech preview, I've had zero problems with it so far and have kind of forgotten I had windows 7 to begin with.

Also being a halo fan until cortana died it's neat to have her voice saying 'something went wrong' every time she thinks someone says the phrase 'hey cortana'. That is also my only problem so far I suppose.
I guess Microsoft finally did it.
They assassinated the number 9.. bastards.

Nvm; ter saved the day with his smarticles again.
In response to Kumorii
It's been a known issue since 8 released, people were wondering about how they would do Windows 9 with the issue Ter described. Then, they announced Windows 10. Also, holograms.
I just built a new PC today for my roommate. She wound up with a really beautiful build minus the GPU. She couldn't afford the GTX960 I was recommending, so I gave her my old GTS250 so she could get off the ground and start working again. (She runs an etsy store.)

Anyway, I got her going on Windows 10. So far she's liking it and she's a Linux nerd.

I'll post pics of the innards of the machine once we get the 960 into it. It's beautiful. Full black and red color coordination, even with a 7 year old GPU it's got a passmark of >2,000 for $450. I told her I'd build her a PC that could perform better than a PS4/Xbone for the same price, and so far minus the GPU I've managed to fulfill that promise. Plus it's my first time running cables under the mobo, and it looks wonderful.
I gave the W10 BETA technical preview a spin.

Overall I wasn't all that impressed with it, but it's definitely an improvement over 8. My biggest issue is that you can't turn off updates if your a regular consumer - and as we have learned with W8 and Vista, "upgrades" are sometimes "downgrades" when your dealing with microsoft.

I'm a linux user though, so everyone else who is used to (only) MS products is probably more impressed with it than I am.
Page: 1 2