ID:1864472

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 38.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
No matter how far or persistent you are in scrolling up to view message history in the chat log, as soon as there are new messages the log jumps to the very end.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Attempt to scroll the chat log upwards.
2. Wait for a new message, such as one produced by world <<

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
/client/verb/send_message()
world << "message"

Expected Results:
The chat log would stop scrolling until I returned to the bottom of the log.

Actual Results:
The chat log always jumps to the bottom.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Have not checked.
In other user accounts? Have not checked.
On other computers? Have not checked.

When does the problem NOT occur?
After reverting BYOND version, see below.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?

Workarounds:
Play with 506.1251 installed.
</<b></<>
Which 507 build is this? This should not be happening in 507.1286; scrolling was dealt with some time ago.
I installed the latest version a few weeks ago before reverting to 506, I'm not certain exactly when 507.1286 was released. How long is some time ago?

I guess in the meantime I'll try 1286 again.
It was fixed in 1275 I think
Yeah thankfully this issue was fixed several revisions ago
I have elected to downgrade to Windows version 506.1251 simply because this has consistently remained an issue in the versions I have tried, including 508.1287.

In 508 I also had issues with the chat log often rapidly scrolling from top to bottom, simply seen as a flickering that gets worse as the log length increases, when I click a href-link but I suppose that is a separate issue.
Also still getting this in 507.1286.
I have not seen this with scrolling up alone. Can you provide more details on how to reproduce this, for example if it requires the control to have focus?

The autoscroll to the bottom is something I dealt with already, but I suppose it is possible that there's some kind of special output that escaped detection. Therefore a project (preferably a small test project) that demonstrates this would be ideal.
/var/n = 1

/client/verb/printsmall()
src << "print[n++]"

/client/verb/printlarge()
for(var/i = 1 to 50)
src << "print[n++]"

printlarge is to fill up the screen, printsmall is to test it.

Scrolls to almost the bottom (half a line up) regardless of control focus.

Ubuntu 14.10, BYOND 507.1286 on Wine 1.6.2.
In response to GinjaNinja32
Nope. I was not able to reproduce this with that code in my test environment. (However, this could easily be a WINE issue in your case.)
Can also reproduce scrolling all the way to the bottom in BYOND 506.1251. Looks like it may be a Wine issue, since I seem to be the only one getting it in 506.

Edit: Almost certainly a Wine issue, I just tested in 499.1204, still present there.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I can confirm that this occurs in 508.1299, and that it is extremely frustrating.
In response to HarpyEagle
In WINE or Windows? If it's the latter I need info on how to replicate it.
This is still occurring in the current version of BYOND. Windows version. A possible way to test it is to fork one of the open source servers and use that.
In response to Orelbon
Orelbon wrote:
This is still occurring in the current version of BYOND. Windows version. A possible way to test it is to fork one of the open source servers and use that.

In Windows or WINE? If it's in Windows, I need to know exact steps to get it to happen.
Windows. My best suggestion to reproduce this is to download the fork from one of the ss13 servers and have it automatically put in new chat messages, after it starts, scroll up and the bug should happen.

Another way could be to just start up a server with basic chat function and use the same method above.

I can't reproduce this. It hasn't happened to me in quite a long time.
It could be something to do with the servers and not BYOND itself. Specifically, ss13 servers.
I believe a few of the branches use a browser-based output system, but I don't think any of the ones you mentioned do. In that case they just use BYOND's normal output which doesn't give the developer any control over the scroll position.
Page: 1 2