ID:186543

Just thought it would be interesting to see what some people's favourite book(s) are. I believe this was done once way back, no harm in doing it again I say :)

My favourite book(s) by far is a series by Stephen King : The Dark Tower. I'm a complete DT junkie, though I'm only starting the fifth book in a series of seven, the story line of Roland and his ka-tet is really moving. 'Specially the flash back in the fourth book to his youth in Mejis involving Susan Delgado.

Anyone else? :D

-~Sinyc.
anything by Terry Pratchett (Discworld), C.J. Cherryh (Chanur series), Gordon R. Dickenson (Dorsai), R. A. Heinlein (nearly any), Asimov (ditto, especially short-stories), Anne McCaffery (Pern series), Mercedes Lackey, and recently Alexandra Erin (aka BYOND's own Lexy/Lesbian Assasin/Hedgemistress - http://www.starharbornights.com/).
I tend to read mostly fantasy stuff, with a bit of sci-fi, horror, mystery, and assorted other stuff thrown in.

Probably my all time favorite series is 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever' by Steven R. Donaldson.

George R.R. Martin's 'A song of Ice and Fire' epic has been an excellent series so far, with more books coming soon :)

Asimov's 'Foundation Trilogy' is on top of my sci-fi list.

All these subject to change as my memory improves. :P
Fantasy or science fiction! One of my favorite series was "His Dark Materials" which included: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. It was quite a wonderful series which could've gone on. I also like The Giver and various other books, such as Harry Potter.
In response to Ol' Yeller
The Golden Compass, eh?

The book was originally called Northern Lights when sold in England.
Illuminatus! Trilogy... the bible. mein kampf. communist manifesto. paradise lost. anything anne rice wrote. (i love lestat). lord of the rings. edgar allen poe's works. i hate shakespeare. and my most favorite book of all time is the Windows Server 2000 books.
I just finished 'The Davinci Code', quite a good read.
In response to Shun Di
Yeah, I read all of the books by that author, Dan Brown. You should read Angels and Demons (I guess this would be a prequel to The Davinci Code,) Digital Fortress, and Deception Point. They all are by Dan Brown, and they all are really good.
My favorite author is John Grisham. I do not think he has one bad book. If you have never read a book written by John Grisham then I would highly recommened you read one. His books are amazing.
In response to GokuDBZ3128
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
My favorite author is John Grisham. I do not think he has one bad book. If you have never read a book written by John Grisham then I would highly recommened you read one. His books are amazing.

"A Painted House" is the only one I didn't really care for.
In response to digitalmouse
I also enjoyed Discworld. :)
I enjoy the Harry Potter series. I dont really know what authors I like, just like I dont know what actors I like. As long as the book/movie I dont care who is in it.

But I must say, I really really hate John Marsden(SP?) I have read about 5+ books of his, and not liked one.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A trilogy in five parts!

Learn how to see the wonders of the universe for less then five Altairian dollars a day! Discover the importance of your towel! Know the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything! (Hint: it equals six times nine).

They're by Douglas Adams, and they are awesome.
In response to Jp
Oh yes I agree. I've only read the first part but it's so funny & awesome.
1984, by George Orwell about a future where the world gets split into 3 superpowers, and controls the people through big brother. Written in 1948, the only reason for the title was the fact the 2 last digits of when it was written was switched over. Its a very interesting book, and the film (made in 1984 lol) is also worth watching. For the mature reader/watcher though.
In response to Wanabe
I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
William Gibson: Spawn serie
Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman: Dragonlance, The Death Gate Cycle
Well, I am really sad to see that nobody mentioned Orson Scott Card. He wrote the "Ender's Game" series. They are great books about one man's life. It goes though his hole life, start to finish, mentioning every detail, even the ugly ones. It is a sci-fi book, set sometime in the near future. I own the first 3 books in the series, but have not found time to finish the third(had it for about 2 years).

I am not a reader by nature, but this book caught my eye in an airport bookstore. I had a 3 hour layover with a 4 hour flight after that, so I decided to get it and read it.

The reading level is not so high that most of you couldn't read it, but it is not a childs story. I strongly suggest it to anyone who wants a good read.
In response to Scoobert
You must finish that series ASAP. Then buy the Bean series. He just released the final book in that series last month.
In response to JordanUl
Really? My only problem is that I do not like to read, what I need to do is buy the audio books. I didn't know there was a series on bean.

I have actualy though of calling him and trying to set up a lunch date with him. He only lives about 2 hours away, so it would not be a big deal. I would love to pick his brain for about an hour. I think his insite into the human mind is amazing. His idea of the future is also about what I picture. A future that is almost just like the present, only with spaceships.
Page: 1 2 3