ID:1865956

Why doesn't BYOND allow game owners to promote their games on the website? We could have a pay per click system like google, or just make it simple and pay each day the ad is up. I'm sure that would make way more money than these adsense ads, plus as a game maker, its kind of hard to get that initial fanbase, so the best place for me to spend advertising money would be directly to my target market.

We should also be able to pay to remove the in game ads so we can provide a better user experience.
Inb4 Ter13

Because you shouldn't promote your game here to a small subset of the world .. Advertise somewhere else, where you can get a larger following.

[EDIT] On top of this, all of your games are copyright material so you wouldn't even be allow to have your "ad" promoted.
Why doesn't BYOND allow game owners to promote their games on the website?

1) Almost none of our games would be eligible for it. (BYOND can't promote copyright infringement.)

2) Almost no BYOND game developer actually wants the BYOND community playing their games.

3) Only a few BYOND game developers actually have money to spend. Our game-playing community is mostly kids and people living in the third world.

4) Space station 13 is our only major group of games, and a significant number of them HATE BYOND, to the point where parts of their community have actually been distributing a version of the BYOND client that disables ads. (Not to mention that some folks from their camp were directly involved in DDoSing and getting media related to BYOND taken off the web.)

5) The BYOND community fervently believes that everything should be free and that any attempt to sustain the cost of active development is widely regarded as a scam... Except for their zeta/naruto rips, which all have donation/p2w buttons.

its kind of hard to get that initial fanbase, so the best place for me to spend advertising money would be directly to my target market.

If your target market is the BYOND community, you are destined to fail. Your "fanbase" will drive everyone who would actually support your efforts and give you not-retarded feedback away from the game by being toxic assholes.

I'm sure that would make way more money than these adsense ads.

It'd make exactly no money.

We already do, it's called the Game Updates forum and it's completely free. Not only that, we have a live games section.

Seriously, advertise off of BYOND. You can actually do a lot of legwork for free if you want to put the effort in. Either that or you can get told how terrible of a game developer you are and how many dicks your mother has sucked by the internet as a whole. Feedback is good, though. Look outside of BYOND, or you aren't going to manage more than 3-4 players at peak. Either that or make something absolutely incredible that complies with non-BYOND-game standards. (Hint: Non BYOND games don't have square interfaces.)
Lol, these replies are funny, but true. Also, those games you saw on my hub were projects from like 2005 - 2007, I don't intend to make any rips or anime games lol, and yeah I understand you want to start promoting outside of BYOND, but to get your first 50 players, it would be a lot easier to promote to people in the community, who actually have keys and know the software.

BYOND definitely needs to take after GameMaker though, they've made such strides and bring in so much money, and they started out with the same humble beginnings, just better a better business plan. It's like mediocrity is promoted here as the status quo.
2007 - 2010 actually. You joined in 2007... so..

who actually have keys and know the software.

Build your game without the need for keys.. Not hard to have a completely separate login/register system..
In response to A.T.H.K
You can do that?? I've been away for so long lol.
In response to AnimeBeyond
AnimeBeyond wrote:
You can do that?? I've been away for so long lol.

You could always do that.. Well since Nov 30 2002 when this gem was released - http://www.byond.com/developer/Dantom/DB
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Build your game without the need for keys.. Not hard to have a completely separate login/register system..

I couldn't agree more. The web client and standalone should be sufficient to build a fanbase if you put the time and effort into really genuinely learning your craft and putting all of yourself into your project.

Crap sinks and gold floats, contrary to reason. We just happen to be pretty close to the bottom of the bucket in terms of game design in these parts.

(Note, I'm not directing this at you in specific, Anime. I know nothing about you or your games, so I'm not judging you or your work at all. I'm just pointing out what's pretty much the facts.)
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

1) Almost none of our games would be eligible for it. (BYOND can't promote copyright infringement.)

2) Almost no BYOND game developer actually wants the BYOND community playing their games.

I honestly dont mind if people from Byond play my games that I have developed. Byond can be a place full of decent people at times. it just depends on a few factors like whether the person plays games on byond often or not and whether he owns a rip or not...
In response to Ter13
Right, and no offense taken, I was just reiterating that those days are long past me lol. But yeah, BYOND can definitely be a good tool to use for game design, but i'd prefer they take a gamemaker approach and keep their content off the actual game, like the ads in the beginning.

It makes me feel like i'm playing a flash game again back in 2006 and it kinda gives that i'm not really in full control of my game feel
i'd prefer they take a gamemaker approach and keep their content off the actual game, like the ads in the beginning.

I think BYOND has focused too much on trying to be a portal, and going forward I'm ecstatic about Lummox being in charge because he's always focused primarily on the software.

Improving the software and the development pipeline I think, and then attempting to go the patreon route is going to wind up being a far better investment than hare-brained schemes to try and milk money from our existing (horrible) community.

Lummox so far has done a great job of improving the software's viability in the last year, and no small number of bugs have been fixed as a direct consequence of the SS13 community and I humbly submit that my own testing and extensive research into how the engine works internally has led to a number of significant improvements that have a direct benefit to users of the software.
Yea I've defenitley noticed a lot of improvments to byond in the last little while. It makes me excited.

I wouldn't say no developer doesn't want byond players. I certainly do, but no doubt I also want to expand my audience. Hopefully my new plan as treating my game as a job will help me get it done faster. So I can seek all these new oppurtunites and learn how to use them.
I wouldn't say no developer doesn't want byond players.

Dat triple negative.

But yeah, I'm always impressed by your motivation, Dante. Keep trucking.
In response to Ter13
Now that I think about it, that triple negative confuses me. What did I even say.
What did I even say.

I'm still factoring the polywhatsit. Not entirely sure myself. But I think you were saying that I was making too broad a statement, which is a fair point.
In response to Ter13
And thank you. im trucking through. There's always the reality that no one will play it, once I'm done but at least I followed through. Ill at least have me, myself and I wil always manage to make up for the population if it lacks
In response to DanteVFenris
DanteVFenris wrote:
And thank you. im trucking through. There's always the reality that no one will play it, once I'm done but at least I followed through. Ill at least have me, myself and I wil always manage to make up for the population if it lacks

I think the important part is that you are learning. Almost nobody's first game is a breakout success. Regardless of the outcome, what you learn in the process will make the next one better.
Or I can just rename it to dragon cursed z
Just watch it'll happen. My players will go from 2 to 200
In response to DanteVFenris
DanteVFenris wrote:
Or I can just rename it to dragon cursed z

my first game was infinite worlds/The New Age Revived/MFG which was a Zeta DBZ Rip. but then a miraculous game called IALO opened my eyes to a zeta rip's true potential and I have been experimenting with Non DBZ Zeta games for a while now