In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Okay, that'd be nice. Would be good to be able to not catch some exceptions, and only catch/handle specific exception types.

Well, I guess this is where my background pays off. I really started in Java. Generally, exceptions that don't have a handler throw an unhandled exception error. The default behavior of BYOND is to CRASH() when an exception occurs unless you are in a try/catch block.

So really, something like this would effectively be the same thing, just slightly higher on the call stack:

> try
> doSomething()
> catch(var/exception/e)
> switch(e.name)
> if("invalid argument")
> //handle
> if("division by zero")
> //handle
> else
> throw e
> //CRASH()
>

That's sort of what I man. I come from C#, so I've used things like the following before:
try {
// Operation that uses giant (2GByte+) bitmaps

} catch (OutOfMemoryException ex) {
// Let the user know they need more RAM or to process a smaller area
} catch (UnauthorizedAccessException ex) {
// User can't save to where they selected
}

Then, if something like an InvalidOperation exception pops up, it doesn't get caught, and is bubbled up. Being able to rethrow errors without wrecking the stack trace is meant to be an analogue to that.
Version 508.1287 is now available.
I came in just do do a little jig over how happy I am about the Mousewheeel addition!

In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
I came in just do do a little jig over how happy I am about the Mousewheeel addition!

Don't lie. We all know you came to make a little love, too.

Seriously though. I cannot wait to play with all these new features, and see what everyone does with them. I think a whole row or two of doors just swung open.
/flails
Huehue so smooth. 508 gonna be fun to play with! (Zooming in and out with mouse wheel)
shield6
A note on MouseWheel: the webclient currently suffers from a standardization problem in that department, because browser makers are stupid and couldn't get their crap together. I'll figure it out eventually. My plan is to make the webclient adhere to the same standard where 120 is a full "tick".

508.1288 is up now.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Huehue so smooth. 508 gonna be fun to play with! (Zooming in and out with mouse wheel)
shield6

That looks so cool. (:
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
My plan is to make the webclient adhere to the same standard where 120 is a full "tick".

Sorry to bring up an old argument, but I should ask this while the feature is new: Why choose to display more magic numbers in BYOND instead of some form of read-only value? =)

In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
My plan is to make the webclient adhere to the same standard where 120 is a full "tick".

Sorry to bring up an old argument, but I should ask this while the feature is new: Why choose to display more magic numbers in BYOND instead of some form of read-only value? =)

Do you mean like a const or a #define in stddef.dm? I'd be on board with that, though I want to see if I can standardize the webclient first.

I suppose on some level it might make sense to handle it in terms of a fraction, where it'd be a float value like 1 or 0.5 or something, although sticking with ints is probably smarter if the range isn't a power of 2.

In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Do you mean like a const or a #define in stddef.dm? I'd be on board with that, though I want to see if I can standardize the webclient first.

Yeah, something like that. There's also the option of a function if it turns out you can't standardize something.

In this instance, perhaps the wheel delta range could be a read-only value of the client set automatically when it logs in? Then standardization might be moot. (Honestly, it might be nice to have client constants/properties instead of globals anyway.)
In response to Lummox JR
On my laptop's touchpad, two-finger scrolling gives values of as little as 3, for smooth scrolling.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
shield6

...how?

I mean... you're not modifying view there, right? If so, what are you modifying? Is it a skin value?

I've been away from BYOND for far too long to figure it out on my own x__x

He's probably increasing and decreasing client.view.
He's probably increasing and decreasing client.view.

Nope. map scale.
In response to Ter13
Yeah, it works by changing the icon-size or zoom parameters of the map control. For efficiency, you'll probably want to modify client.view too, to make sure you're not asking the server for more than you can actually see.
In response to MDC
MDC wrote:
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
This next please!:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=972611&hla

This definitely has been a pain in the ass for us. Hoping it gets fixed soon. Keep up the great work though Lummox. You've fixed many things Ter and I have needed recently :)

I will personally perform sexual services for Lummox if this gets fixed soon.
:) Love seeing some the makeovers as people come back and dabble with the new features.
508.1289 is out. Gearing up for major webclient focus soon, but I still have some stuff in mind for Dream Maker.
Page: 1 2 3