ID:1867829

(See the best response by Braekyn.)
Code:
//NONE.

Problem description:
I was considering writing my own side scrolling engine. I was curious what I might need to study up on or know in order to make something great.

Ideally I'd like to make 2 engines- the side scrolling "beat em up" engine in which players traverse a stage on their way to a boss, and a true side scroller such as Mario or Metroid or even Castlevania.

I have some vague ideas, but what would be most helpful is a list of things that need to happen or be tackled, in order to provide the best experience for other people who might want to use a lib that is easier to grasp than some of the current options.
Best response
In response to Braekyn
It's helpful,but not what I'm looking for persay. I'm not interested in looking at someone else's work or how they handle it, but rather the steps I need to take to create my own-if that makes any sense.

I'm not really looking for a "how to" but more of a "this needs to be addressed before you have what you need" type point in the right direction.

I'm aware F.A. has a staggering amount of great libs out there, the main issue is that they also require other libs to work properly(some of them do).

That isn't what I want, in theory I'd like for anything I write or contribute to the community to function without the need for other pre-existing code.

I'd prefer to make something that is completely "plug -and-play", that's the motivation behind this post-thanks though.
In response to Kaiochao
Basically what I was looking for, thanks.