ID:186841

Greetings all,

I am writing this guide, to help all you people that are having issues with running your servers from Linux/FreeBsd machines.

Let's say, you have an account on a shell server called Dantom and have permission to use port 6503 from the provider.

Login to your shell account and from the main directory, do the following :

*FreeBSD users :

wget http://games.byond.com/download/byond_freebsd.zip

*RedHat/Linux :

wget http://games.byond.com/download/byond_linux.zip

Once the file has been downloaded to your shell, simply type :

unzip byond*.zip

The above will extract the files into the directory /byond.You can verify that by typing: ls , which should out put something like this :

-bash-3.00$ ls
byond byond_freebsd.zip

From here on simply go into the byond directory :

cd byond

and then type :

make here
or just make (for ambient systems, both work, you arent planning to run a multiserver anyway, so it's more or less unnecessary)

You're main directory of concern is byond/bin, so type:

cd bin

then type

ls

Which will show you all the files within , for example :

-bash-3.00$ ls
DreamDaemon libbyond.so DreamSeeker
DreamDaemon2 libpng.so
DreamMaker libzip.so

Now, starts the fun part. Unless you are root on the system, you wont be able to make these libraries global, and therefore, you wont be able to just run DreamDaemon without manually editting your shell config .profile. So, to make life easier for you, I'll supply the necessary script , which will basically automate all the process for you.

type in your shell from your current position (byond/bin)

wget http://www.byomhost.com/servchk.sh

Once the file is downloaded type:

pico servchk.sh (ctrl+o , saves changes and exits pico)

then

EDIT all the "YOURGAMENAME" fields to match the name before your .dmb . Example :

Gekisen.dmb ===> YOURGAMENAME = Gekisen

Remember, the GAMENAME is case sensitive and must have NO SPACES(to make life easier), so for example if your dmb file is "raccoon.dmb" replace all YourGameName with raccoon.Under YourPort, simply put your allocated port number, if you didnt get allocated one, then use a random port, eg 6665. MAke sure each line stays on its OWN line and doesn't get split or dropped.

((Alternitavely, you could just download the file to your pc and edit it there, then upload it, but I find that to be a pain.)

Once that is complete and you have saved the changes in that file, do this :

chmod +x servchk.sh (to make it executable)

Then simply :

./servchk.sh

You should get a message saying , DreamDaemon has died...starting .

Your game should be up and running!

Hope this helps out, it's short, but it has the most basic functions you need to know.

Oreldwin

Think you could edit all of the console commands to
insert text here
?
That makes it easier for me to read, if you could do this that would be great. I already set up my linux byond, but this thread should be very useful to anyone that wishes to switch to linux.
THANKS FOR WRITING THIS!!!!

More information on installing byond on shell accounts is welcome. Guides like this should be readily available on the byond website.
pico servchk.sh (ctrl+o , saves changes and exits pico)

What is pico? Im running SimplyMepis and that doesnt work.
In response to Strawgate
Try 'nano' or 'vi' in its place. The command varies per-system.
In response to Nadrew
It's just a text editor... available editors vary from system to system. Also try emacs, if pico, nano and vi aren't available.
In response to Crispy
i'd stick with nano- its a free version of pico.

you can do: 'apt-get install nano' on the shell prompt to install nano if it is not already installed.

then you can type: nano filename to edit it. make sure you are in the directory where the file exists, otherwise you'll see a blank screen in the editor.
In response to digitalmouse
Then you can just alias nano to run when you enter 'pico' to avoid any confusion. (I switch between systems that use nano and pico, and occasionally I forget where I am, so I made both servers work with both commands =P)
In response to Flame Sage
I cant get the file servchk.sh!
I'm curious, I don't understand what exactly I have to do to get my game running.

I have followed the steps pretty much to the letter, and I'm not certain where I would have to put my game's hosting files in order to make it work.

I've got BYOND installed in

/[user]/BYOND_hosting

My game host files are installed at:

/[user]/BYOND_hosting/GAMES/[Game name]

How would I have to change the servchk.so file in order to make it run?