I enjoy the grind actually... so. Yeah.
In response to DanteVFenris
DanteVFenris wrote:
ever game is a grind feast, it what grind do you find enjoyable.

example i could call the witcher 3 a grind of story and combat

First of all, not every game has a grind as a primary objective. Such a trait is unique to mumorpeguhs. Or at least the mumo part. Several games without grind include Mario, Kirby, Minecraft, etc. Any "grind" in these games are imposed by the player, not the game itself.

A good grind is one you don't know you're doing. One in which the grind becomes part of the story and gameplay. Not a grind that IS the story and gameplay. Examples of this done poorly are Maplestory, Runescape, and World of Warcraft. These are cases where you spend time waiting for the level up ding as the only source of satisfaction. Repetitive quests and the level focused gameplay makes grinding the only real way to "advance". Cases where the grind is done well are Dungeons and Dragons Online, Rusty Hearts, Hearthstone, and Voyage Century. These are games where grinding sorta just happens while you're playing the game.

Instance based games tend to have an easier part of this because the instance becomes "the grind" and the instance is usually constructed to be fun and engaging and not just "if you do this enough times, you'll get your level up ding".
Minecraft-grind of mining
Mariokart- is a grind of racing
Mario- is a grind of jumping and timing
Kirby-grinding and sucking ;)

I for one enjoy mmos and enjoy the grind. But I also enjoy single player games and enjoy their grind. Actually you know what i enjoy. Variety. I'm not saying you don't im just recollecting my thoughts on what I like. I for one don't always want a game were I don't see the grind. In eso yea it's a mmo there's an exp grind and gear. However I see it as something competitive.

Also eso hands down has the best narrative for an mmo of that nature. So for an mmo it does pretty well in my opinion. You take sacrifices to handle all those players. In my opinion the sacrifices are worth it to play with others
No but seriously minecraft is soooo Grindy. I can't even play it it's so boring.

But see this is my opinion. I see it as a grind. While I don't see eso as much as you do. So differences in perspective matters. So I hold to my statement everything is a grind.
DanteVFenris wrote:
Minecraft-grind of mining
Mariokart- is a grind of racing
Mario- is a grind of jumping and timing
Kirby-grinding and sucking ;)

You clearly have mistaken "gameplay" for "grind". So I can see how you think every game is a grind, even if you're wrong.
Can't they be perceived as one in the same? For example your perceiving eso gameplay as a grind. Grind is basically a word for when gamers don't like a gameplay mechanic and it's in the game frequently. If I hated absolutely hated pressing 2 to jump on the wii motion control on Mario I might consider Mario a grind to finish and get bored of it as the jumping is just too much and repetitive. "Oh just jump here, jump there that it?" (Not my actual opinion just stating it in a way that someone could feel if they though Mario was grindy
Barbie Horse Adventures was a pretty good MMO.
Like I love all those games besides minecraft(actually all survival games I find boring so far however ark looks interesting)
In response to Ter13
Are you sure that wasn't my little pony?
Just thought I show up to present my awesomeness, shout out to my woes.

P.s can't touch this.
No, that's not what a grind is. But if that's how you feel about grind, you and EVERY MAJOR GAME CRITIC have something to talk about I suppose.

A grind is not a repetitive game mechanic that the player doesn't approve of. And your example of a Mario "grind" defies the definition (ergo it's not an example of a grind mechanic).
Grind is when you have to do some sort of repetitive task in a game solely for levels, gear etc. and has no effect whatsoever on plot progression.

For example, when you're in WoW and you run through a dungeon and beat the boss and you experience a little more lore. That's game play.

When you run through that exact same dungeon 15 more times because you need that one rare sword that drops only 20% of the time, that's grinding.

Another example is back when I played Dragon Quest 8. The first main antagonist, Dhoulmagus, is pretty hard to beat if your characters are not a certain level and don't have certain skills. Apparently the amount of game play up to that point doesn't yield enough levels to take him on, so you have to go back to an area where the monsters give decent experience, and just kill those for a good 15-20 minutes so your dudes unlock new spells and you can afford new weapons. Then, you beat the boss and actual game play resumes.

This is why I don't like MMORPGs very much and stick mainly to MOBAs, because in Dragon Quest 8, times where I had to grind were few and far between, whereas in online games it feels like grind is everywhere and game play/plot progression is scarce. Going back to the WoW example - running through the same dungeon 15 times was not enjoyable, especially since I usually play a tank and as a tank you NEED good gear because you're tasked with soaking up all the damage. Crappy drop rates + retarded mages who can't even equip shields and mail armor needing on your gear = frustration and time wasted. If you die in 3 hits from the next boss, there's nothing your healer can do to stop that, so your only option is to replay that dungeon until all your gear is up to par. The only MMO where I've felt the pace of the game did a good job of eliminating grind was Neverwinter.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Grind is when you have to do some sort of repetitive task in a game solely for levels, gear etc. and has no effect whatsoever on plot progression

So like in Mario where I have to jump soley for levels? Without any plot as Mario has none.

It's a bit different though as it's not so much a grind when your with other people. It's like saying cod multiplier is a grind as your doing the same thing no plot to gain levels. But because it's with other players you experience different scenarios. I actually talk to people when I group up, or troll and have a new experience everytime. That and some dungeons are challenging and interesting to do more than once just like some people like to play the same multiplier map on cod doing the exact same thing.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Moba in my opinion are just boring. As there's no progression and no plot. So it's like there's no purpose at all to play it. Moba is like grinding but instead of a reward you get to start over. Nothing more repetitive than a moba
DanteVFenris wrote:
It's like saying cod multiplier is a grind as your doing the same thing no plot to gain levels.

rip my brain cells 1993-2015
Mario *does* have a plot. The people of the mushroom kingdom have been turned into blocks and only Princess Peach can turn them back into normal toads.

Mario doesn't have a grind unless you're trying to a speedrun.

MOBAs have the advantage of being instance based multiplayer. Since they often have a variety of playable characters and are 5v5, there's a very familiar permutation formula you can follow to see how many different games you can play. (Hint: It's well beyond your lifetime). For example: League of Legends has 115 champions and 10 are chosen in any game. If the 10 champions are unique there are 270492182559608486400 (and that's if my permutation calculator didn't run into overflow errors) unique games you can play (that's almost 3*10^20) and each game lasts at least 20 minutes. So about 60*10^20 minutes to play every matchup if you played nonstop... you'd die well in advance.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
MOBAs have the advantage of being instance based multiplayer. Since they often have a variety of playable characters and are 5v5, there's a very familiar permutation formula you can follow to see how many different games you can play. (Hint: It's well beyond your lifetime). For example: League of Legends has 115 champions and 10 are chosen in any game. If the 10 champions are unique there are 270492182559608486400 (and that's if my permutation calculator didn't run into overflow errors) unique games you can play (that's almost 3*10^20) and each game lasts at least 20 minutes. So about 60*10^20 minutes to play every matchup if you played nonstop... you'd die well in advance.

In response to Lugia319
you could run with people of the same number of build possibilities in elder scrolls online. So by that logic it shouldnt be grindy
Online PvP is grinding. Grinding isn't bad, it just has to be enjoyable. The Souls games and Bloodborne are great examples of this, unless you're doing a no death/speed run through the game and get it perfect the first time, you're going to grind a lot to get through the game, but most of it you won't notice, either from the excitement of the battles or the overhead task at hand(trying to get your dropped souls/echoes, for example).
Page: 1 2 3