ID:1873234

Resolved
When defining vars for all datums that were redefined within a datum in stddef.dm, a compiler error was thrown. Now datums in stddef.dm will not generate duplicate definition errors.
BYOND Version:508.1289
Operating System:N/A
Web Browser:N/A
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Code:
loading Origins.dme
loading Skin.dmf
Code\Mapping.dm:2:error: name: previous definition
Origins.dmb - 1 error, 0 warnings

Problem description:
I just recently updated to 508.1289, but when I tried to compile my game for the first time, I recieved this error. I didn't have any errors before updating. I tried removing the line defining "name"for datums, thinking that perhaps it was made a built-in var in the update. However, all my datums then recieved errors.

Normally when a var is defined twice, it gives a previous and current definition, so don't know what I'm looking for.
IIRC name is a built-in variable.
In response to Lugia319
name is a built-in variable for atoms, but not datums. This seems like a bug, since you can still declare a name variable for non-atom children of datum:
datum/var/name // compiler error
//poop/var/name

// vs

//datum/var/name
poop/var/name // no error
Well it wasn't an error before compiling.. now it is..?
Seeing this as well, it's a bug in the 508 series. It's not like the system suddenly added the variable globally either, it doesn't exist if you undefine it. Never quite seen an issue like this one in my years here.
Okay. So back-date to 507?
You can fix the issue by defining the variable for what you need (just not as top-level as datum allows you) in the meantime, but you should post a bug report regardless of what you decide to do.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
When defining vars for all datums that were redefined within a datum in stddef.dm, a compiler error was thrown. Now datums in stddef.dm will not generate duplicate definition errors.