ID:187426

Hello,Im currently in need of Windows 98 SE because my network card only works with that and i only have Windows 98. Is there a way i can get SE without pirating it or buying a cd for it?

~>Jiskuha
Think of what you are asking, all Windows OS cost money, and you don't want to spend money? Try a backup disc from a friend or something, but you might consider that illegal:

http://search.ebay.com/Windows-98-SE_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40, you can try that..they are really cheap. Or try on the Windows site..maybe they have an upgrade.
Get a new network card. =P
In response to N1ghtW1ng
Why the hell are you using windows 98? lol
In response to Jermman
Windows 98 is good. It's nice and lightweight compared to other OSes.

I got tired of it crashing all the time, though, so I gave up and went with XP instead. I must admit I like XP more, and thanks to DosBox I can still play most of my old DOS games... but 98 is just fine. Until you get tired of it crashing. =P

By the way, completely off-topic; I discovered a sweeeeet Windows XP PowerToy yesterday; the Virtual Desktop Manager. One of my favourite Linux desktop features comes to Windows at last! It's not implemented nearly as well as it could be, but it's a good start anyway. If you have XP, check it out. =)
In response to Crispy
Doesn't seem bad, but ATI has had a multiDesktop program for a while now and I like it lot more.
In response to Scoobert
Okay i got it upgraded to xp(Pirating,Very bad ungh! :( ) Anyways i installed the network card and bam got the blue screen of <font color=red>death!!</font> so now when i restarted the computer my monitor wont work. I tried other monitors as well and it doesnt work. I even tried different computers on the same monitor and it works. Did i knock my video card loose or something?

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
Maybe it was a bad pirated copy =P, if you think your video card is loose...how about you check to see if it is loose or something?
In response to N1ghtW1ng
N1ghtW1ng wrote:
Maybe it was a bad pirated copy =P, if you think your video card is loose...how about you check to see if it is loose or something?

Its been awhile since my A+ Certification,I kind of don't remember where its at on this ancient computer.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
Jiskuha wrote:
N1ghtW1ng wrote:

Its been awhile since my A+ Certification,I kind of don't remember where its at on this ancient computer.

~>Jiskuha

If things aren't working right, I usually, as a first precaution, (if it's not entirely obvious) just go round my computer- pushing things in a bit more, making sure things are solid.
Just check, push wires in more (don't take any out).

You MIGHT want to turn off your computer first- I didn't, and I swear I burnt myself while dusting down the motherboard...bloody spidewebs...

But sometimes it works! I hate to sound like an ignorant fool of a silly billy, but try it.
bear share? oh come on, you were all thinking it. wait, better yet, go with fedora 3 linux because its free and it would help you, unless you're not familiar with linux, in which case you should use open linux i believe its called.
In response to Elation
I tried that Kholint. I even removed my video card and re-inserted it. Still nothing.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
It's probably a bad copy. I've heard of people receiving bad copies of XP (often, pirated versions, of course).
In response to Jiskuha
The blue screen of death is an error, so it would not be the result of your graphics card coming lose. That is what you get for pirating (/me looks side to side trying not to bring attention to his computer).
In response to Lenox
Lenox wrote:
It's probably a bad copy. I've heard of people receiving bad copies of XP.

Well i reinstalled it a little after i posted this and its still a no-go.
I'm almost positive its my video card but i don't know whats wrong with it.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
When you're sad, I'm sad too :( .

Is there no local friend of the family that might have a job in IT consulting?
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:

Theres a good friend of mine who is but i am suspended from school for beating up some kid and i cant see that gentlemen for awhile.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
Jiskuha wrote:
Elation wrote:

Theres a good friend of mine who is but i am suspended from school for beating up some kid and i cant see that gentlemen for awhile.

~>Jiskuha

Oh dear.
Can you not phone him?
In response to Jiskuha
I have been meaning to do that, I have a bunch of books on A+ Certifications. In your opinion, is it worth it? I want to work in a local franchise in my town and to work there you need an A+ Certification. So yeah, do you think it is worth it?
In response to N1ghtW1ng
N1ghtW1ng wrote:
I have been meaning to do that, I have a bunch of books on A+ Certifications. In your opinion, is it worth it? I want to work in a local franchise in my town and to work there you need an A+ Certification. So yeah, do you think it is worth it?

Yes,Even if you know the material its a plus because you ll pass with a breeze and if not then you learn things in the process :).

~>Jiskuha
Page: 1 2