ID:187441

i have been on byond for about 4 years and i see only about 900 people tops logged on byond. You'd think by now i would have seen 1000. I know theres not many good games on but if more people knew about byond there would be like 30% of them who would most likely make decent games.
When i first discovered byond 4 years ago (on accident trying to find some dbz horizon game). i found reakowns zeta, i liked it because i thought it was original and only 1 existed, so i told about 22 people at my school about byond. and 1/4 of them still use byond.
But really theres about what?, like 350 million people in america (never mind those other countries with internet). Maybe 1/3 of them have a computer and access to the interent, 900 tops is such a small portion. Whats wrong?, Doesnt byond advertise?. I mean i like byond (spent a couple years on it) and i am sure if more people found out about it we would have a bigger and more exciting community. The reason i am here is by accident, The reason my friends are here is by accident, Maybe you came here by accident, Lets make people not stumble on byond by chance(start advertising?). 5000 would be a decent online number.
And you're getting 900..how ^_^ ? Is this counting those that are in invisible games, the "devs" (thought it'd be good to use in this situation), and those that just browse all the time? :P

(I personally thought you meant the people with DS open)
There are marketing strategies that are being held back until the official PUBLIC public version of BYOND is released.

Currently, people aren't going to find out about it, unless by friend. Even if they are looking for a game maker, they are probably going to pass BYOND up because it isn't "3D" enough for them.

Also, before they release, they want to get rid of things making them look unprofessional, such as a million rips in unpublished (I believe what they are going to do is get rid of unpublished and make people use their own sites. I could be wrong.), crippling defects, and a few major limitations. They want all of that fixed first.
I don't think Dan and Tom could afford having that many people on the site at once using the bandwidth like that. I might be wrong, but that is what I think someone said in a post a few months ago.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Also, before they release, they want to get rid of things making them look unprofessional, such as a million rips in unpublished (I believe what they are going to do is get rid of unpublished and make people use their own sites. I could be wrong.), crippling defects, and a few major limitations. They want all of that fixed first.

What year is this going to happen? 2005?, 2006? . Byond was made in like around 1997-98. 10 years for all that?, wo. Imagine if that did happen it would be like new era on Byond.
In response to Pagemaster
It would be a crappy new era of crippling bandwidth costs before Dantom is ready. You need to realize there's a plan here.
In response to Hedgemistress
It's nice having it small, atleast to my opinion.
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
It would be a crappy new era of crippling bandwidth costs before Dantom is ready. You need to realize there's a plan here.

Whats the plan?, fill me in.
The plan is to get both the program and the community good and ready, and then make a big publicity push. :P Were you not here for the previous discussions on this? I know that disabling file hosting and cutting out dimes have trimmed the costs a bit (how much, I cannot say), but basically, every new user is an expense Dantom has to pay for.
In response to Hell Ramen
Hell Ramen wrote:

If i were to make a game i would like a decent number of people in it like 50, i dont want games like mj and those zeta ripps hoging the gamers and me being left with 7 people.
Pagemaster wrote:
Hedgemistress wrote:

Whats the plan?, fill me in.

Deleting Zeta, placing a filter on key creation ("Goku", "SSJ", "Vegeta"), the making every one else pay $10 a day to even access dream seeker/maker.
Pagemaster wrote:
Hell Ramen wrote:

If i were to make a game i would like a decent number of people in it like 50, i dont want games like mj and those zeta ripps hoging the gamers and me being left with 7 people.

Zeta rips hogging players?
Hardly.

Most rips have 1-3 players in, and would you really want these players in your game?
I would like it to be much bigger, as well. Right now, we pretty much only attract people with little tiny brains, and for the most part, those aren't the people who play my games (Even the atrocity of idiocy in Drugwars... They are still smarter than your average DBZer, considering it's a game based on economics, disregarding the crude theme.)

However, until Dantom has a good way to keep their bills in check, they lose money, and if BYOND were to get too big first, they may have to shut BYOND down for a little while.
In response to Elation
Exactly. Im glad these people don't play my games.

It'd be nicer if they allllll just conglomerated into a single idiot game, though.
In response to Kunark
But, it's nice to have it small. Don't you see, if more people came, the majority of them would be brainless retards, that talk like "lol wut du we du now dat we rond 21312372173803271 gamez!/?1/1/1/1". Be happy that our community is small, and we get to save space on our pagerban file, and our game ban files. :P
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Exactly. Im glad these people don't play my games.

It'd be nicer if they allllll just conglomerated into a single idiot game, though.

Actually, maybe, instead of all coming to BYOND and doing their little,

"I R l33t38t of @11!!!!111111111111111111111oneoneoeneoneoneeleveneleven. P\/\/|\/3D n00bl3t!!!!!111111111111oneoneoenoeeonoeoenoeoenoeleevenoneh undredandelevenonehundredandeleven. ph33r m3, 4 I @/\/\ ur p\/\/|\/0r!"

One of them can "grow a brain" and make a little program in C++/C or VB that they can all just goto and not..be..here on BYOND. Although, some of the DBZ games aren't bad(The ones that you have to actually WORK in.)
In response to Hell Ramen
Most of them are already like that, and it is possible to filter them from your game.

No matter if their small, or if their big, the BYOND community will always have about 60-75% idiots. As long as you filter, your only going to get more intellectual players.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Most of them are already like that, and it is possible to filter them from your game.

No matter if their small, or if their big, the BYOND community will always have about 60-75% idiots. As long as you filter, your only going to get more intellectual players.

*Adds a filter in his game that bans anyone who tries to enter in a DBZ-Type name for their character.*

I think a nifty feature for BYOND Games would be to make it so that anyone who is pagerbanned by the game owner can't go in to ANY public game of theirs.
In response to Lenox
so make games have to be accepted my a moderator before they can be added.
In response to Strawgate
Lenox, isn't it already like that?

Or am I mistaken...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5