ID:1874649

While I have lately been programming my virtual machine in C++, I have been contemplating a return to DM programming to bring forth new projects as well as try to finish existing ones.

One of my plans is to retire the original SByIo Library, but instead evolve into a newer library. One that better supports the webclient as well as a better way to use the library.

Another plan involves trying to bring some new games into BYOND with webclient support in mind. Not much has gone into planning for that just yet.

Yet another plan involves experimenting with JavaScript to utilize future technologies. This one will most likely go into experimental projects till there are practical ways to utilize them. One such technology will not be disclosed just yet, but some of y'all may already have an idea.

With these in mind, one of the main focuses could be the new library I'm planning that is evolved from the SByIo Library (which itself evolved from SkyDrop Delivery and the unfinished Strategic Warfare Prototype).
:o Hmm, ok. Nice to see you possibly back on the sbylo, hope to see more of you again.
In response to Turboskill
Turboskill wrote:
:o Hmm, ok. Nice to see you possibly back on the sbylo, hope to see more of you again.

Thanks. :D

Yeah, I might continue work on the SByIo Library alongside a more webclient-friendly variation of the library.
Glad to see you back around. Let me know if you ever run into any questions with the webclient; if there's something that isn't possible yet I might be able to make it so.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Glad to see you back around. Let me know if you ever run into any questions with the webclient; if there's something that isn't possible yet I might be able to make it so.

Sure thing. I'll let you know what isn't possible yet. ;D
If you've got a lot of JavaScript under your belt you might even want to look into developing new controls. The webclient makes a lot of things possible that weren't before.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
If you've got a lot of JavaScript under your belt you might even want to look into developing new controls. The webclient makes a lot of things possible that weren't before.

you need someone with alot of experience in Java? let me see if my friend Hilman could contribute as he had years experience with Java
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Yeah, I have been thinking of adding new controls. That is another reason for creating an evolved library based off of SByIo, but utilizes the webclient. It'll be a great way to utilize onscreen input effectively (moreso than the one found in the original SByIo).

Like I said, I might retire the original SByIo Library to create a new and evolved form that works well with the webclient. It will continue to support bitmap fonts with the added benefit of being runnable on the webclient. I will make sure to add new controls that are reusable. ;)
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Java != JavaScript. They're radically different things. One is an interpreted language while another is a compiled language (albeit not into conventional binaries).
In response to Doohl
Java != JavaScript.

It also gets on my tits when people assume they are the same..
After recently having good success at getting external scripts to work (I was doing it wrong in the '.dms' file), I have come to a conclusion that one of the old experimental engines has become pretty much obsolete.

That experimental engine was the "Duranetic Engine", which itself was evolved from the DM External Library Communicator. While this experimental engine was nifty for utilizing client-side DLL access, it was not without severe drawbacks. Various bugs were found in communication (which exists even in it's ancestor).

Fortunately, the webclient has pretty much enabled many things without anymore dependency on DLL/SO files. As a matter of fact, it may in fact be possible to compile C/C++ files into working JavaScript using Emscripten. I have yet to experiment with that on here, but it would be quite interesting. :D