ID:1877087

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
So some friends and I are trying to make our game but making mock up cards is extremely time consuming so I wanted to try making the entire game on here to test before going to print but the problem is I know nothing about lists or where to start.

It would effectively be similar to Magic and YuGiOh as far as verbs and procs and I would make it a game where you can walk around as a character like in some Duel monsters games on here already.

So What Im asking for here is where should I start and what are the most useful demos and tutorials going to be and what are some key functions from the guide I should learn?
Best response
Your design goals are so open-ended it's really hard to say what would be the best things to focus on. The Guide teaches programming with BYOND, but it doesn't really cover how to put all of that together into a game with a specific form.

I'd almost say maybe it'd be good to find some source for one of those games (there has to be discarded source floating around), but I expect it'll be so full of problems it won't necessarily help you beyond basic structure--and even there not necessarily.

Probably your better bet is to break up the things you want to do into tasks. For instance, running the card game would require some kind of game manager (like a datum) to track the players, cards, turns, phase, etc.
Alright thanks. Ill read up on that.

As far as being open ended, it would be comparable to Duel Monsters. Im just with a different field as far as coding goes. Itll be manually played. Ill just give them a choice of verbs when things are clicked on.

Another tip with a card game: Many games have mechanics where another player can play a card out of turn. It can become difficult to track overlapping effects unless you have a system for resolving potential conflicts. I would recommend looking up Magic: The Gathering and their concept of the "stack", which dictates which actions take place in which order. MTG can also serve as a good guide for how to implement phases of each turn.