ID:187744

If you've read "A Game of Thrones" and you're free tomorrow night, please join us in the BYONDscape Athenaeum at 9 pm EST (6 pm BST/EST) for a lively discussion. You don't have to be a BYONDscape subscriber or an English major -- you just have to have read the book.
Excellent. >=)
I've never even heard of the book, I looked for it at the local library with no luck. And when I asked the nice old lady that worked there if she could get it she said "when hell freezes over", so I'm out.
In response to Nadrew
And when I asked the nice old lady that worked there if she could get it she said "when hell freezes over"

Holy smokes! Is the librarian's name Ardelia Lortz, by any chance?
I'll be there, obviously. Is the log of our last conversation in the library?
In response to Gughunter
No, she's a nice old lady. We have a really good relationship, which is why she's so open with me. New Mexico libraries have a very hard time getting funding for books, and getting books from other libraries even costs money.
In response to HavenMaster
HavenMaster wrote:
I'll be there, obviously. Is the log of our last conversation in the library?

Not yet, but I'll try to put it there before we open for business tomorrow night.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
I've never even heard of the book, I looked for it at the local library with no luck. And when I asked the nice old lady that worked there if she could get it she said "when hell freezes over", so I'm out.

I think you'd have to buy this one. Funny, I just started reading in a month ago. It's quite good. But I was reading it while waiting for the next book for the Sword of Truth series(can't remember the author off hand, but up to book 9)
In response to Gughunter
On an irrelevant note, you need to add verification for the comment system on BYONDscape. More because of annoyance than potential abuse. If you press enter a number of times after submitting a comment, it will keep submitting. The best bet (and what I use for my projects) would be to create a temporary savefile when they go to post a comment. When it goes to post the comment, check if the id in the savefile is the same as the one in the url. If it is, post it and delete the file. If not, uh, kill someone.
HavenMaster wrote:
On an irrelevant note, you need to add verification for the comment system on BYONDscape. More because of annoyance than potential abuse. If you press enter a number of times after submitting a comment, it will keep submitting. The best bet (and what I use for my projects) would be to create a temporary savefile when they go to post a comment. When it goes to post the comment, check if the id in the savefile is the same as the one in the url. If it is, post it and delete the file. If not, uh, kill someone.

I think that fits in the topic Design Philosophy... =)
In response to Jik
I'm not going to create a new thread just to give Guy a suggestion. It's fine where it is.
HavenMaster wrote:
I'm not going to create a new thread just to give Guy a suggestion. It's fine where it is.

um... a joke... ya...
In response to Jik
Jik wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

I think you'd have to buy this one.

San Francisco libraries have it, so it's in some libraries at least.

For this series I have been using the Amazon Marketplace thing, where bookstores can sell their used books through Amazon. Amazingly, I got the third book, which is freakin' huge, in hardcover, for $3 plus shipping, for a total of $7 or so. I got the second book for more (I forget how much), but still very cheap for a large hardcover of a popular series.

I strongly recommend checking out those deals on Amazon...I get most of my books that way now.