ID:187772

I am going to have a little informal interview with a training company for computer programming, however there are only a few spots available. I dont have many qualifications, I am 18 by the way, and I really want this spot to train to be a computer programmer.

I have seen, on this forum, that many people think that BYOND is a good language to start off with. So I think it would be a good idea to design something on BYOND to show that I am willing to learn ect...

What do you think? If you think I should, what should i (try) to make? I want to show the guy, that I really want to do this, and that THIS is what I can do with no training!

Thanks for reading,

Farkas
Byond does most of the work for you, so you could not really do anything impressive in the way you are thinking unless you get into the advanced stuff and ditch statpanels, tile-based movement and the other stuff that is accomplished for you. If you want to use Byond to show something off, I suggest you make something in which you have to do most of the work yourself from the ground up instead of relying on everything that is built in.

Try making a program that does HTML work for you so you can make HTML files with no knowledge of it. Or try making a game in which you do not rely on anything Byond has to offer: make your own movement functions, use clickable objects in the client's screen list instead of verbs, and try to do some special effects. Or make a text-based game in which you have a database style setup of lists to keep track of things.

If you really want to use Byond, there are plenty of things you could do. If you really want to show you are serious about it though, and if you have enough time to do so, learn the C++ basics and make a simple text program so you can show that you have what it takes but just need someone to help you break through into advanced stuff.
In response to Loduwijk
Very nice suggestions Loduwijk.

Anyway, when it ever comes to an interview just remain calm and act normal. Be sure to be confident about what you can do. Don't be afraid to think about an answer before you answer them. Don't fiddle with something, focus, and look at them in the eye when you talk, making sure to express personality.

Sit straight and proper, just be professional.
In response to Kagayaku Kami
Kagayaku Kami wrote:
Very nice suggestions Loduwijk.

Anyway, when it ever comes to an interview just remain calm and act normal. Be sure to be confident about what you can do. Don't be afraid to think about an answer before you answer them. Don't fiddle with something, focus, and look at them in the eye when you talk, making sure to express personality.

Sit straight and proper, just be professional.

And imagine them naked!