ID:1878998

I know it was a long time ago, but I remember something about Square Enix not allowing them, but this was based on something that had no proof. There was no proof it was actually Square Enix, and not some kid pretending to be them.

What I would like to know is what fan made games are, and are not allowed on BYOND. What are the regulations? Are you allowed to make them using BYOND software, but not publish them to BYOND? Can you advertise them on the forums, or advertise for team members in the classifieds?
I think fan games are allowed on the front page as long as it's not obvious it's a fan game, which is why the games on the front page are stuff like "Dragon Ki" instead of "Dragon Ball". But even then, it's still ridiculously obvious, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

I remember you Hork. I think you used to play Unknown Person's DW game.
My understanding is it is all about the hub content, which of course includes the name of the game. If you keep the copyrighted content off the hub within the name, description, probably pictures, and all that then BYOND isn't responsible. At least not until if and when a cease and desist occurs.

I am not sure how much this applies to Square Enix because they are very harsh about their copyright. For example. The person who owned Final Fantasy Legacy that was very popular around BYOND a few years ago... He got stopped on BYOND, made his own website, then they hit him again there. He had to actually remove the game completely, and far as I can tell not give anyone the host files all just to avoid legal trouble.

Yet... Here is an odd point. Final Fantasy The Hunting Grounds was considered to not be in violation because it contained a different story than the ones it was made after, so all they had to do was change their name to The Hunting Grounds. I don't think they had to do much else, really.

TL;DR: Keep copyright material out of hub content and BYOND is in the clear unless specific cases are addressed by the copyright holder. Square Enix enforces more frequently, and harshly than anyone else. Be careful, and remember it's kind of handled on a case by case basis.
Was there ever any actual proof that it was really Square Enix, and not some poseur?
In response to Hork
Well, Tom called it a legitimate address, so there's that.
It was indeed legitimate, we made sure of it long before even thinking about complying.
glad my FF game never got hit by a copyright notice.... should have copyrighted the name "Legends of Dissidia" too... just to fuck with Square since my game came out long before FF Dissidia did...