ID:1879667

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
It won't open ANY server, for ANY game anymore. There will be three different reactions after loading resources;

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru6sdeo76k54b5d/ Skjermbilde%202015-06-21%2018.17.34.png?dl=0 < this, most often the first time i try to launch a server again after re-installing BYOND entirely. This is the first error i got too.. I had not installed anything lately or activated any processes to warrant it, and there are seemingly a billion variables that could be the cause for this.

2. The 'Dream Seeker has stopped working' message. It can happen a random few number of times before outcome 3 happens.

3. It finishes loading and then closes the window, but leaving the orange BYOND icon on the taskbar for a short while.

So, i have tried uninstalling BYOND entirely and restarting comp + re-installing it back after.

Tried running BYOND as administrator. Disabled anti-virus and firewall. Updated IE.

OS: Windows 7. I use chrome for my browser. Additionally, i have also used Malwarebytes and UnHackMe rootkit scans to try to find anything that could cause problems or interfere. Didn't find anything though.
For #1 I'm not sure I can read that message. But it's basically a crash, as are #2 and #3.

When #2 happens, Windows should give you the option of seeing crash details. I need those details to see what's wrong. I also need to know the exact version number you're using (major and minor build).
Yes, it will say it's trying to find the problem and then it will say "A problem caused the program to stop working as it should. The program will be closed, and you will be notified when a solution is available." Said solution never appearing.

I'm using the latest BYOND version 507.1286.. Unless that page is not updated. I dunno what you mean by major and minor build..
In response to Felkvir
Felkvir wrote:
Yes, it will say it's trying to find the problem and then it will say "A problem caused the program to stop working as it should. The program will be closed, and you will be notified when a solution is available." Said solution never appearing.

The message about a solution is just Microsoft's way of pretending someone will do anything about error reports that are sent to them. In Windows 7 you can open the event viewer to look at application crashes, and it should give you more information. What I need specifically is the module (e.g., byondcore.dll) and offset where the crash occurred.

I'm using the latest BYOND version 507.1286.. Unless that page is not updated. I dunno what you mean by major and minor build..

507 is the major version, and 1286 is the minor version (more or less a build number). There actually is a newer beta version you could try.
Ahh, the module thingy .. I found the name. It's ntdll.dll

I'm not sure what you mean by offset, should i just copy paste the eventdata here perhaps?
Hrm, if it's a crash in ntdll.dll that won't be helpful for finding the issue.

One thing I wonder is if your system has an older BYOND build hiding somewhere.
Hmm.. I doubt that. Though if it is do you have any idea where it could be left? I've kept BYOND files ... Well, in pretty much the same location the entire time.
I would suggest doing a system-wide search for any old BYOND files, like byondcore.dll and dreamdaemon.exe. Normally this shouldn't be an issue, although if the PATH environment variable points to an old install I think that can cause problems.
A system-wide search for those two specif- wait ....

How ? ;_;
Windows search kinda sucks since XP, so I would try Agent Ransack. I find it's invaluable.
Well i searched with it and both files are in program files (x86)\BYOND\bin\, nowhere else.
Sorry, this is just extremely annoying and unwarranted and i need to know.. Is there no way to completely reset everything related to BYOND and completely short out any possibility of errors? I can't be shut out forever...
My hope was that you would find another version interfering, but since you're not, something else must be in play. Do you have any logs from event viewer that show crashes in any module other than ntdll.dll? A crash in byondcore.dll or dreamseeker.exe, etc. would be something I could actually look into.
Well, no ... But the module path says \windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll ... Dunno if that helps
Which games have you tried this with? How much memory does your system have? And how does version 508.1290 respond?
Tried it with SS13 (also the game where the errors started occuring .. practically only game i play on it, besides lifeweb) Lifeweb, Z universe and Dragon-Ki.

4GB of RAM.

Version 508 responds in the same way with the games except on SS13 it goes with error 1 all the time now. Roughly translated the error is : "Instruction in (numbers) referred memory by adress (numbers again).
Memory could not be read.

Click OK to close the program."

Also, my taskbar seems to regularly refresh along with windows it seems whenever i leave my comp off and let it dark out with tabs open in a browser .. Or when i go fullscreen into a video, etc ... Dunno if this is perhaps related.. Since both issues appeared out of nowhere, seemingly.
Your taskbar keeps refreshing? That does sound related, all right. Maybe you should try doing a system restore to a date when you know this was working.
I'd ... Rather not do a system restore. Not unless i know for sure that there is absolutely NO other way to remove these damn errors.
Best response
The fact that BYOND is crashing on all games makes no sense outside of the context of a major system problem, or some kind of mismatch between the versions of the .exe and .dll files. Your taskbar refreshing behavior sounds like a major system problem is in play, because that's not even BYOND-related.
I just tried running it in compatibility mode for windows 7 ... It finally worked.

I got really worried there for a while.

Thank you all the same though. I wish i didn't have to make all this .. And i have no idea why i suddenly needed compatibility mode. :/