ID:1880103

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Every time I try to load into the Byond client it just does the SAME thing: "Loading game inforation..." and does not actually do anything. I have redownloaded byond several times to try to fix this issue but have had no success. Is there any recommendations on what to do to fix this ?
Best response
Standard questions:

1) What operating system are you using?
2a) What antivirus/security software are you using?
2b) What happens if you disable it temporarily?
3) Where is your BYOND data dir? (It should be in My Documents/BYOND typically, but I'd like to know the full path.)
4a) In that dir, you should see a cfg folder and in that a file called localhub.db. Is the file there and if so how big is it? (Prediction: about 30-40K.)
4b) Is the file read-only or otherwise security-restricted in any way?
5) Is your .NET framework up to date?
I am having the same problem.
1) Window 7 Home Premium
2a) Spyware Terminator, Free Version
2b) Same results thus far
3)C:\Users\Admin\Documents\BYOND
4a)localhub.db = 6696kb
localhub.db-shm = 32kb
localhub.db-wal = 278kb
4b) No
5) I believe so.

Its something that I just noticed yesterday, I am certain that I was able to run the Client with SpywareTerminator in the past, and have not made any modification to either since. When I boot the Client up, the Loading Game Information screen simply sits there until I close it, not responding.Task manager sais its taking a steady 14,344k Memory. I am going to attempt to confirm that .net Framework is up to date, however I doubt that is the problem. Thank you for any time you put into assisting me.
All of that info looks good as far as I can tell. Have you tried reinstalling IE to see if maybe there's an issue with that?

Did this start happening just recently, such as after a BYOND update or maybe after some other system change? It'd be most helpful to pinpoint exactly when the issue appeared and what changes happened on your system at that time.

Also, as a suggestion, delete the db-shm and db-wal files, and try renaming localhub.db to something else. I'm curious if the db will rebuild properly (to a similar size) and if maybe the issue is something as simple as a corrupt db file.
What do you mean by IE? Internet Explorer? I use Chrome. I deleted and renamed as you asked, and it recreated a new localhost.db at 34kb it also does not show the loading anymore, simply a transparent window when I hover over the icon from my task bar.

I have not been playing as often as I used too, I noticed this problem yesterday, but thought little of it, now that I am trying to get on in earnest today, I am taking it seriously. There has not been any major changes that I know of, aside from the installation of a steam game.

I re-ran it as Admin, and the loading screen returned, the size of the file is still 34kb.

EDIT: I uninstalled, and Re-Installed Byond, and as a result was rewarded with a "Loading Games" bar, that seem to get stuck at 3%. So I went and deleted the new localhub.db and renamed the localhub.orig.db back to localhub.db... and was rewarded with the same problem that has been persisting.
In response to BubbaW
BubbaW wrote:
What do you mean by IE? Internet Explorer? I use Chrome. I deleted and renamed as you asked, and it recreated a new localhost.db at 34kb it also does not show the loading anymore, simply a transparent window when I hover over the icon from my task bar.

Curious. That means it's not properly loading the file.

Yes, I do mean Internet Explorer. The embedded version is used in the pager, so even though you use a different browser for regular purposes (which is a good idea), it'd help to be sure IE itself is up to date.

I have not been playing as often as I used too, I noticed this problem yesterday, but thought little of it, now that I am trying to get on in earnest today, I am taking it seriously. There has not been any major changes that I know of, aside from the installation of a steam game.

Hrm. I wonder if that game changed anything of note on your system. If this was working just a few days ago, I would recommend trying a system restore to that point.

I re-ran it as Admin, and the loading screen returned, the size of the file is still 34kb.

EDIT: I uninstalled, and Re-Installed Byond, and as a result was rewarded with a "Loading Games" bar, that seem to get stuck at 3%. So I went and deleted the new localhub.db and renamed the localhub.orig.db back to localhub.db... and was rewarded with the same problem that has been persisting.

The 34K file suggests it is having a problem reading the database file after all. That's very strange. What happens if you rename the entire cfg folder to something else like cfg-old? I'd be curious to see if maybe something else is causing a problem. For completeness' sake, try also renaming the pager folder.
I renamed Pager to Pager-orig no problem, but when I went to do it to the cfg folder, explorer, or at least that open folder stopped responding. So I ended the process and attempted again, same result, its been a good bit now, still not responding. What could possibly prevent me from changing the name of a folder like that? Its specific to the cfg folder it seems.

EDIT: I attempted to make a copy and delete the original, but it seems to be taking forever, and gives me no information regarding an eta, or size of the deleted folders.

EDIT2: It's read only, but whenever I remove that status its reapplied when I open the properties.
The fact that it couldn't be renamed strikes me as really fishy. Something else seems like it'd be deeply wrong with your system for that to happen, unless it's something simple like having a window open that points to a file there.
I don't understand, As I came back to this post to see if you had replied, I attempted to boot it up again, and I was greeted with the log in screen. Between now and the last time I tried I have not messed with any of the files, or done anything obvious, I played a few games,was afk for a bit for laundry work, I DID download MalwareBytes Anti-malware, but I haven't even run a scan yet. I should probably "really" run that scan then I suppose lol. Thank you for your help mate, do you have any specific questions to be recorded for the next guy who has the same problem?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am back to where I started, the client seemed to be having a really hard time authentacating my account, so, figuring my inputted password may be incorrect, I closed it and tryed again. Bad move, now I am back where I started. I am going to take the time to do a scan, as I get some sleep for the night. I'll get back to you if something changes after the scan.

EDIT2: As I was having some trouble getting a scan going, I restarted my pc, that evidently solved everything. Again, thanks for the help mate.
Ah. I wonder if the system was in an unstable state. Sometimes that can happen and a reboot solves things. Glad it worked out.