In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
and based on observable laws (that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed),

Interestingly enough, IS that something that can be observed?
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
It is the direction in which the objects are moving around us. They can tell that the other stars are moving in such a way that we and they are moving out from a center point.

Except there seems to be no central point. Their vectors move crossways to each other, which is why some galaxies are colliding.
Aaiko wrote:
I could go with this for years, but would rather not.

I second that motion...
In response to Kunark
Truly the world, nay, the universe as we know it is illogical. So I do not deny the possibility of a greater being that controls our world and our lives. At that same point, I don’t deny that the whole universe may have a logical explanation.
In response to ThreeFingerPete
Yeah, I watch matter neither being created nor destroyed all the time.
In response to Kunark
If somebody could come up with the actual number, "Infinite", say in their heads, the next thing they would probably see would be a "Alien-dows has performed an illegal operation.", followed by blackness :P

Though not quite tangible infinity is used quite often in math. For instance due to the fact that the force of gravity is proportional to the distance between the masses squared it is possible to go infinitely far with a finite amount of energy and the amount is solvable despite the fact you're solving for the amount you need to go infinitly far :). Of course it'll take you an infinite amount of time before you finally arrive.
I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word universe.... When you refer to the universe you refer to everything thats possibly existing, therefore its not like a galaxy where there can be multiples, it is existence itself. Although there could be alternate realities, but why not classify those as part of the universe? Really, I don't there is any way to define into words, the entire existence of everything.
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
Really, I don't there is any way to define into words, the entire existence of everything.

Some people use "multiverse".
In response to Theodis
The use of infinity in math often leads to such contradictions. For example, the line generated by y = 1/x will get infinitely close to the x axis, but can never touch it. Take this line, rotate it around the x axis, and it will create kind of a horn shape(i mean if u use the rotation to create a 3d solid). This is called gabriels horn, it has infinite surface area, yet it has finite volume! imagine that. so you could fill the inside with paint, but you could never paint the outside. but what if we make gabriels horn out of paper, fill it with paint, then let the paint soak through to the outside? i dunno, guess that still wont cover it. I learned about this strange thing in calc 2 and never forgot it. = )
In response to Abra
but what if we make gabriels horn out of paper, fill it with paint, then let the paint soak through to the outside?

You could do it provided you had an infinite amount of time to kill :).
In response to ThreeFingerPete
Except there seems to be no central point. Their vectors move crossways to each other, which is why some galaxies are colliding.

Well all matter generates a gravitational pull towards all other matter. So if two large masses of matter are going in the same general direction and are relativly close their gravitational pull will draw them together and will cause them to collide if they don't form an orbit around each other. To prove/disprove(or atleast have more evidence either way) that there was a big bang you'd need to add up the total momentum of all the galaxies and made sure they add up to zero. If the do(and they should provided there are no external forces and there was a big band) then there is the likely possibility that it did happen and if it doesn't then there are either outside forces acting on the universe or there was no big bang. Of course this leads to the issue of needing a still frame of reference and some way to solve the mass and velocity of all the galaxies :P.
Hedgemistress wrote:
Yeah, I watch matter neither being created nor destroyed all the time.

Sounds like someone needs a TV. =P
Hedgemistress wrote:
Yes, and anybody who says they know with certainty is certainly a fool... the most I'll say about my model is that it's simplest possibility.

And true knowledge is knowing that you know nothing, right?
Page: 1 2 3