ID:1885604

Resolved
A garbage collection change has been reverted, having been found to cause issues after some time in various games.
BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 43.0.2357.124
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: What I can tell you isn't much, but hopefully it helps.

After updating to 508.1289, many players on my server reported worse cases of lag, and even FPS drops that only a full reconnection to the game could remedy. They made sure to point out that the game ran 100% better prior to updating. After downgrading to the latest stable build today, the server is back to running as expected.

I wish I had more information. It just seems to be some type of build up, the result of simply being logged in, that only reconnecting can help [sometimes].

Though I couldn't locate them, I do remember someone posting a topic with similar details. Could possibly be related issues?

When does the problem NOT occur? Using the latest stable build, 507.1286.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Byond build 507.1286.

What game is this in? Do you have any profiling information? I need something to investigate here. If you can narrow things down at all, it would help a ton.
I'd say same issue I have to with my game also, only way I could find to fix this issue is to use older builds which doesnt seem to destroy the FPS and or cpu leaks.
Same here, ever since the update, I've been getting a lot of complaints of lag.
Is this only client-side? If so, the only thing I can think of that would account for this is the increased garbage collection at high memory usage rates in DS (id:1866405). If that's the case, I might back out that change.
yes its only on the Client side once you close the game and open it again it will run smoothly for about 1-2 hours sometimes less I had one at 30 min in. And for some reason the CPU goes from stedy 0%-2% to about 15-20% on the Client. Closing the game and reopening it will make it 0%-2% again until it will happend again in 30min-2hours.
Okay, so it sounds like the new garbage collection has some issues. I'll roll that back.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
A garbage collection change has been reverted, having been found to cause issues after some time in various games.
Shoudnt this actually be looked at instead of just reverting to old one
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
Shoudnt this actually be looked at instead of just reverting to old one

No. The garbage check solution I used is obviously causing problems, but recreating your issue exactly promises to be fruitless. Eventually I'll find better options here, but for the time being the appropriate course is to revert.
ahh okay
I would say it's a client-side issue.

Not sure if it matters, but the game force deletes just about everything, so I'm not sure if the garbage collector still comes into play.
The garbage collector in question is actually the client-side one, which has a different mission. The code I added was to make it much more aggressive about removing appearances and therefore icons after the icon memory got fairly high. I believe the issue you saw was that it was unloading and reloading the same icons frequently, causing churn.

Force-deleting everything is really a bad idea server-side though, if you can help it. It's far better to let as many things disappear through their reference counts reaching 0 as you can.
In response to Lummox JR
Oh yeah, of course. I'm working on re-writing the game, as it's pretty old source code (and just generally a nightmare in many aspects).

Appreciate the promptness.
This issue seems to still exist in 508.1292. Not only have I continued to experience FPS drops, a lot of my player base is as well. Again, a full reconnect (fully closing the game) numbs the issue significantly.

507.1286 seems to be the latest version to have the least amount of problems where this is concerned (although I still get sluggish after a while, but it's nowhere near as bad as 508+).
Odd. The garbage collection was definitely reverted in 1292, and I can't think of anything else that would have caused a client-side issue like that to appear.
Some relevant dialogue,

[link]
Really? When I used the 508 series I'd get really bad eventual slowdown and churning on WINE, but 508.1292 fixed that so idk.

That dialogue makes it almost sound like you're having issues with nearest mipmapping on windows. I just get gl_nearest. :c
In response to FKI
I edited your post because you can't use an HTML page as an img source.

I doubt Zasif's issue is the same as yours. He's experiencing overall slowness, whereas you're seeing something creep up on you. (To confirm, have the clients reporting this actually updated to 508.1292 or are you only going by the server version? Because this being a client-side issue, it's definitely important go by the client version.)
In response to Lummox JR
I have had many of them update to 508.1292 and the problem persisted, which I can confirm myself.

I'm playing around trying to see if I can trigger it, but no luck. What I can say is, in 508.1292, it's awful sometimes and better at other times. When I tried to reproduce the issue, I was moving like air. This testing was done throughout the first hour of being logged in.

As of right now, my client was logged into the game for almost exactly 2 hours. The sluggishness occurred when I tried moving around, despite there being nothing around me but turfs. I did a full reconnect and am moving great.

Edit: I'm also wondering how you post pictures on here.
Page: 1 2