ID:1886432

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Pastebin ( http://www.pastebin.com/ ), and other similar services, are very powerful, helpful, and friendly tools to share code in different forms of Syntax to other people easily by sharing a link once code is copypasta'd. I'm sure many of you are aware this exists.
The Forum has built-in syntax highlighting for pasting code, which is really great for what it is. However, what if we had a Pastebin of our own on BYOND. A function where we can share code for a time-based delay without having to make an actual post in the Forums. Now, I don't recommend having "Listed" and "Unlisted". Just make the code Unlisted otherwise there would be a lot more moderation required and whatnot unless you feel Listed/Unlisted would be beneficial.

Basically code-sharing without having to make a forum post in Dev Help/Design that we can share to others for a limited time.

This -could- be a Membership feature as well if that'll bring more buzz about donations but I don't feel like we, as a community, should outsource fast code-sharing to Pastebin when we have the tools and technology for our own built-in code sharing (Again, without making a new forum post to flood the forums. Something small and sweet that sits on the servers for a day that doesn't have to be publicly listed on the forums).

There are ways to accomplish this with DM environments but that seems a bit more hub-owner controlled which allows private code that's shared to be easily grabbed by whoever designs the DM environment. This also requires one to actually host the environment or join the environment to relay the code.
To be honest I'm really not big on website features like this, because the work/reward ratio is poor and there are already others doing it.
You could make a GeSHi highlighter for DM (one possibly already exists elsewhere) and drop pastebin a mail asking to have it included in their list when it's working satisfactorily.

Generally I'm with Lummox on this, in terms of the fact it's a fairly poor work/reward combo for BYOND. Similarly, BYOND traditionally in-sources far too many of these things and it's served to isolate BYOND's community from other tools and ways of working that are out and about.
You could just use github or piratepad.
I'm pretty sure there are a series of chatrooms (Chatters comes to mind) which allow you to send code, so it can be done in the code.