ID:1889751

(See the best response by LordAndrew.)
Problem description:

Working with a big project, and git is unfortunately being very picky as a few project members use LF, while the others use CRLF. We recently standardized to CRLF, but the question now arises as to whether .dmi files are truly binary or not. Git says they are, but I am not so sure; after all, .dmm files can be read with some legibility as text.

Do I set .dmi files to binary in my .gitattributes file, or should I leave as-is? I don't want to corrupt anything, as that would seriously mess with the project.
Best response
.dmi files are simply .png files with their zTXt chunk modified to store data about the icon (states, animations, delays, etc).
Thank you, much appreciated.
The zTxt chunk shouldn't be sensitive to whether a system uses CRLF or LF. IIRC, the icon read/write routines strictly use LF in that chunk, and anyway the chunk is compressed.
Just to add this on here since you mentioned it. Map files (dmm) are plain-text, there's nothing special about them beyond that.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Just to add this on here since you mentioned it. Map files (dmm) are plain-text, there's nothing special about them beyond that.

Good point. Also .dm, .dme, and .dms are all plain-text types. And .dmp if you use the old extension for maps, though I'd change it to .dmm.