ID:1894305

So I used to work on this game a while back with Jonithin and TheLionsRoar, but as usual it sort of flopped. Anyway, I loved the game and I'd love it more if people were playing it, so I've come to the conclusion I should share the files and whomever is interested should continue developing it.

Cheers!

~KD

P.S, I'd love it if this could be an open source project so I'm uploading it to GitHub. I'll comment with a link tomorrow or later tonight.
Do you want me to just upload it to my files and post a link?

That is if you want to open source.

I'm at least interested in seeing what the art is like. I'm always looking for art.
Might as well stick it on GitHub, but I'd ask Jonithin and TheLionsRoar if they're okay with you releasing the source like that, just to be nice and safe.
TLR doesn't own the game, Jon is hard to get in contact with, however he did say that I was a co-owner of the game. I'll wait a day or something before uploading the files to see if anyone has a legitimate reason for me not too upload them. Also yes, github is actually a good idea, I'll do that instead.
In response to Kingsdragon
Aight
Kingsdragon wrote:
TLR doesn't own the game, Jon is hard to get in contact with, however he did say that I was a co-owner of the game. I'll wait a day or something before uploading the files to see if anyone has a legitimate reason for me not too upload them. Also yes, github is actually a good idea, I'll do that instead.

Don't upload the source code to a project without consent from the Lead Developer/Dev Team. It's that simple.

As for the bolded text above, that's pretty messed up. I'd be extremely upset if someone waited a "day or two" and then just released a project I was managing.

If it's not yours and you don't have permission, don't release it.

"Co-Owner" doesn't mean squat. You either have permission to release the project or you don't.

No offense. I'm surprised no one else advised against this release without first obtaining the proper approval. If you can't reach the guy, then it's a no.
Let's be real here, no one cares about BYOND games getting their source code released. There are rips on the front page right now and no one cares. Asking permission is a courtesy.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Let's be real here, no one cares about BYOND games getting their source code released.
I do. I know others do. Therefore this is invalid.

Lugia319 wrote:
There are rips on the front page right now and no one cares.
I'm sure there are a lot of haters who do care, although this has nothing to do with what we're discussing here. What is on the front page is not in our control. Attempting to prevent more leaks is within our control.

Lugia319 wrote:
Asking permission is a courtesy.

If you can't contribute to the topic in a meaningful way, just don't post. It just further proves my opinion on you right now is accurate.

No offense. I'm surprised no one else advised against this release without first obtaining the proper approval. If you can't reach the guy, then it's a no.

^
Here's my contribution to the topic - Release all the sources ss4gogeta style.

It's perfectly alright to release leaked source code. That's what it means for something to be leaked. I look forward to the future where almost everything is open source really. It's not like anyone on BYOND ever signed non-disclosure agreements, nor does anyone have the power or reason to enforce their copyrights.

Not to mention that the game in question has been dead for quite some time. Making it open source allows it to live again.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Not to mention that the game in question has been dead for quite some time. Making it open source allows it to live again.

Releasing it is still not morally right. Can I go in your house and take what is not mine, simply because you do not use whatever it is I am taking?
In response to Lavitiz
Yes, assuming you have the ability to overpower me and any reinforcements I might gather. Might makes right has always been the law of the land.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Yes, assuming you have the ability to overpower me and any reinforcements I might gather. Might makes right has always been the law of the land.

Exactly what I was going to say :P
For a post with twelve replies, there only appears to only be four to me. I would elect that the other replies aren't going to be what you'd want to base your moral compass on. Listen to these other guys, if you don't have explicit permission to release(I'm assuming you've already spread it to some of these "devs" here that'll just look for anything 'cool' to crudely plaster into whatever source they are 'working on') any work you don't own rights to yourself(if you're contracted to make a specific artwork/code-based system, you don't own rights to release the work openly, the company or person(s) who hired you do).

[EDIT]
I edited to, hopefully, make clear to those who clearly failed to understand. I usually wouldn't have seen the reply to this comment, but I got curious when I received the alert, but saw no reply.

I was, of course, correct with my first statement in this posts, I would recommend straying from the other posts suggesting anything other than withholding until gaining explicit permissions.

In case my edit wasn't clear; you're unable to lawfully release content you were specifically contracted to create for use outside of your own(without proper permissions). I'm not a lawyer, but feel free to call any lawyer that offers free console to confirm.
if you're contracted to make a specific artwork/code-based system, you don't own rights to release the work openly, the company or person(s) who hired you do.

Not true, unless a series of non-disclosure agreements are made. If you make a sprite for one game but that game doesn't purchase exclusive use of it, you can sell it to another game as well. And "owning" code is a very iffy topic that copyright law still has a problem with.
Lugia319 Immoral Developer Confirmed.
Just to point something out here:

The Berne copyright agreement explicitly states that any works created after Jan 1, 1989 are copyrighted by default. Any work, with or without notice is copyrighted unless explicit granting of rights for distribution from the owner to you personally (exclusivity/transferability is a subject for discussion here).

Regardless of how you came into possession of the source code, or regardless of whether you contributed to it, you do not own it in whole and thus do not have the right to distribute it without the explicit written consent of ALL persons involved in the writing.

Now, this is all a little pedantic for something as silly as a BYOND game, but releasing other peoples' code without explicit permission from the creator is absolutely a violation of international and US copyright law.

There is no arguing with this. What Lugia is talking about are specific legal challenges to specific infringement suits. Code is still very much explicitly outlined as a protected original work under the terms of US and international copyright laws. However, he is correct about needing explicit arrangements for exclusive transfer of ownership of a product. The person who originally produced something retains all rights until they exclusively transfer them. This does not mean you have the right to distribute parts of the software that you did not produce simply because you modified them or put your own code into it.

TL;DR: What Lugia is saying is probably factually right, but what we're talking about is a deeply complex ethical and legal subject. If you have respect for your fellow game developers or as it were "amateurs", you really should give them the respect of not making the decision regarding distributing their software for them. It's more than about law, it's about respect and integrity. Something that Lugia has perpetually demonstrated that he utterly lacks any consideration for whatsoever.
Hello everyone and thank you for your informative responses. In light of this information, I'll make a better attempt at getting in touch with the old developer.

P.S, please don't assume I've released this to anyone personally. In so-far, the source hasn't been released by me. I'll get back to you all with information soon!
Would love to take a look :)
I think they should be uploaded, the game is never hosted, and technically the hub is Ginseng's, who is contactable.

Honestly, pass it around, maybe someone can fix it up and actually do something. Honestly, I miss playing this game, and plenty of sources are bouncing out there. If those other developers are no longer around, especially on BYOND, then to me, they're retired.
Page: 1 2 3