ID:1894925

[Release]

Today is a sad day for the gaming industry.
They are taking it really hard over there:

https://youtu.be/pSWN6Qj98Iw?t=27s
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
They are taking it really hard over there:

https://youtu.be/pSWN6Qj98Iw?t=27s

the only video with more dislikes than that one is this
Satoru Iwata worked as a programmer at HAL Laboratory, helping with the creation of Balloon Fight, Earthbound, and Kirby. He later contributed to several of the Pokemon games. This was all before joining Nintendo in 2000, eventually becoming the fourth president in 2002.

In an industry lead by greedy marketers and out of touch company men, Iwata was one of those rare cases of an actual game developer becoming a CEO. The world of gaming is a shade darker without Iwata; I'm sad to hear of his passing.
I'm not gonna pretend like he was my best bud but it's sad when anyone dies. He did good work.
Japan and The States are about to kick cancers ass.
I wonder what direction nintendo is heading now. i see them making mobile games come next gen if the NX fails.
In response to Southv2
Southv2 wrote:
i see them making mobile games come next gen if the NX fails.

A lot of people freak out at the idea of Nintendo making mobile games, something I can understand due to how terrible mobile games are at the moment. One thing you have to keep in mind is the fact that Nintendo doesn't have to follow those terrible models. If Nintendo started making their own mobile games, they might actually be good.
Nintendo as a company has, in general, been very good to the consumer. They might crank out the same IP over and over again, but there was nothing wrong with Super Mario Galaxy. We all loved it. Hyrule Warriors? Yup.

As far as game companies go, I probably trust Nintendo the most. They don't seem as interested in screwing the consumer over for their money as much as they are interested in making games that everyone can enjoy.
Squenix has been making HD re-releases of their console classics.

Honestly, the mobile market needs a Nintendo right now. The market is flooded with anti-consumer products.
I don't care where Nintendo makes games, as long as they have the same quality as their games have consistently had over the past 30+ years. I usually hate mobile games, but if anybody can innovate in the mobile market and do a great job at it, it's Nintendo.
The thing is, Nintendo, like any other business, needs to make money.

The most profitable route in mobile games is the F2P model where you make the game nearly unplayable unless the player is investing money into it on a regular basis, i.e. Clash of Clans.

So if Nintendo wants to make mobile games and not waste their time, they'd have to go F2P, and if they go F2P, the game will suck because you'll only get enjoyment out of them if you're paying $5-$10 into it every week. $35-40 a month is more than a WoW or FFXIV subscription, and that's the price for all the content, not just a unit or building upgrade. And $5-$10 a week is just to make the game semi-enjoyable - if you really want to get the most out of these F2P mobile games, you'll be spending a lot more than that. Like, $50-100 in one sitting. Sounds crazy but that's literally where they're getting all this money from.

So basically the only Nintendo mobile game ( or any mobile game for that matter ) that will be worth playing is one that's B2P, and Nintendo probably won't go that route when there's potential for tons of extra money to be made with the micro-transaction business model.
In response to EmpirezTeam
The difference being, Nintendo knows they can make money off of major console games. Nintendo has a track record of spending money on experiment and innovation. Nintendo does what's best for everyone. They produce the games we know we want and they invest in the games we don't know we want.

There actually is a F2P Pokemon game. It's called Pokemon Swap or something, it's on the 3DS store. 2.5 hours to refill energy or you can pay for it.
I'd like to think that Nintendo understands that this is fundamentally bad for consumers and makes it harder to make money off of products in the long run by basically destroying your credibility with your base.

F2P/day-one DLC/Game-chopping is just plain bad for business, and we're really starting to see the effects that this is having on the industry. Sure, it's making tons of money, but it's also making it increasingly difficult to maintain a playerbase for the long term. If you aren't shitting out a mobile cashgrab every 9 months, you can't compete.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Southv2 wrote:
i see them making mobile games come next gen if the NX fails.

A lot of people freak out at the idea of Nintendo making mobile games, something I can understand due to how terrible mobile games are at the moment. One thing you have to keep in mind is the fact that Nintendo doesn't have to follow those terrible models. If Nintendo started making their own mobile games, they might actually be good.

True nintendo doesn't have to follow the standard an could reinvent mobile gaming as we know it but if that happens what happens to zelda, pokemon and smash thats my concern.

I could see pokemon on mobiles but not the block busters ive grown to love multiplat ?

I wonder if Iwata was the one keeping nintendo kid friendly... The interweb seems to think so.
At least the team that was formerly Irrational Games will bring us some great mobile games! Right? Guys?
In response to Southv2
Southv2 wrote:
I wonder if Iwata was the one keeping nintendo kid friendly... The interweb seems to think so.

I doubt Nintendo's image is going to change a whole lot. It seems that the likely and logical route is to make Miyamoto the next president, and he's quite fun-loving and child-like (in a good way).

Iwata and Miyamoto were the body and soul of Nintendo.
Yut Put wrote:
i hear takeda and miyamoto are the temporary presidents

miyamoto isnt a good choice though, hes a better creative director than a businessman

they should just let me take over honestly. vote for me guys, i promise to put Bomberman in the next SSB
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Yut Put wrote:
i hear takeda and miyamoto are the temporary presidents

miyamoto isnt a good choice though, hes a better creative director than a businessman

they should just let me take over honestly. vote for me guys, i promise to put Bomberman in the next SSB

can u add narto frowg he rid on/?
Page: 1 2