I don't even think the gaming industry is prepared for Gamabunta to join Smash. Maybe in a few leap years. See what I did there?
It's weird that when I first heard the news, I went nostalgiafagging like a lot of people did, over the things he had done in the past. However, when I thought about it it turns out that, I really didn't know some of the things he has done, and many of the things he has done, haven't greatly effected me in the least. For example, he compressed the gen 2 Pokemon games so we could have Kanto and the like, as much as I enjoyed Gen 2, I was a 7 year old kid and I was just happy to have a game and Gen 2 was the first I played then I went and got Red. It's cool what he did, but why should I feel anything about his death?

Turns out his death means little to me, and I can't see why it means so much to some, I mean it can mean something to you, but some people act like they fucking knew the guy. I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone. One less person on this Earth to have to go through life.
It's cool what he did, but why should I feel anything about his death?

Human beings are fundamentally unique in the fact that we are not individual creatures. We are simultaneously individual beings and also a carrier of an independent intelligence that persists externally through our actions, our speech, and our works.

Since the dawn of human communication we have passed down stories and ideas that have shaped subsequent generations. Van Gogh spent his life living in madness and squalor. He was fundamentally not important to the utilitarian means by which many live. He never really worked, he never provided scientific or philosophical insight into reality. He was a drunk who had no real family or friends and no education. Still, somehow his art communicated the fundamental isolation we all feel and he pined to cross the gulf that separates us all from one another. That attempt left a mark with his art long after his death. What he had to say was important and shaped the way we interact with one another even though he never knew it in his life.

Game development is a mutual shared experience. We are sharing a microcosm of the ongoing human effort to communicate our isolation and our ideas with one another. Iwata has shaped my childhood, my adulthood, and he's shaped the way I communicate with my friends and loved ones.

I can't live in the isolated world that you describe, Rocknet. It's not that we knew him. It's that we are all connected, and when one of our brains goes offline, we lose access to the continuation of a microcosm of that human experience we all share.
Technically no one really feels anything except for his family and closest friends. Everyone else is just on the outside saying "Aww, that's too bad. He seemed like a great guy."

I remember in 10th grade, we had this new girl at our school. We had a science class together. She sat toward the back of the class and was mostly quiet. About two weeks later, we hadn't seen her anymore, and our teacher said it was because she died, apparently she was suffering from some illness. One kid spoke up and said "Wow, that's messed up." Bear in mind, she was a quiet student, in the back of the class, for 2 weeks. It's not like any of us had any life changing experiences with her, or knew her for years to the point where we'd actually feel the impact of her death, including this kid who said that.

I think it's more about etiquette than anything else. As a society, we do things in an attempt to make sure everyone perceives us as "polite". This is why we say "good morning" to each other, or "bless you" after someone sneezes. When someone mentions the death of a person, you're not expected to laugh about it or behave as if you don't care. The "proper" thing to do is to pretend you give a shit and say "I'm very sorry to hear that" or "my prayers are with you", when in reality you just want that co-worker of yours to piss off so you can get back to work.

Or maybe I'm just insensitive and introverted. Oh well, I was born this way. I can't change who I am on the inside.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I can't live in the isolated world that you describe, Rocknet. It's not that we knew him. It's that we are all connected, and when one of our brains goes offline, we lose access to the continuation of a microcosm of that human experience we all share.

Beautiful
Huh, I don't even remember that I posted all that.
In response to Rocknet
Rocknet wrote:
Huh, I don't even remember that I posted all that.

Lol.
wat
In response to Rocknet
Rocknet wrote:
For example, he compressed the gen 2 Pokemon games so we could have Kanto and the like, as much as I enjoyed Gen 2, I was a 7 year old kid and I was just happy to have a game and Gen 2 was the first I played then I went and got Red. It's cool what he did, but why should I feel anything about his death?

As I understand it, Pokemon Gold/Silver actually exceeded the maximum storage capacity of a Game Boy cartridge. With Iwata's compression tools they were able to finally fit the whole game in while having so much room left over they could throw in the Red/Blue area as well. As it turns out, Iwata's work did actually affect your enjoyment of the game; if he didn't work on it you might have played a scaled down version of Gold/Silver while also lacking the Red/Blue content!
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Rocknet wrote:
For example, he compressed the gen 2 Pokemon games so we could have Kanto and the like, as much as I enjoyed Gen 2, I was a 7 year old kid and I was just happy to have a game and Gen 2 was the first I played then I went and got Red. It's cool what he did, but why should I feel anything about his death?

As I understand it, Pokemon Gold/Silver actually exceeded the maximum storage capacity of a Game Boy cartridge. With Iwata's compression tools they were able to finally fit the whole game in while having so much room left over they could throw in the Red/Blue area as well. As it turns out, Iwata's work did actually affect your enjoyment of the game; if he didn't work on it you might have played a scaled down version of Gold/Silver while also lacking the Red/Blue content!

I'll have to retract what I said about his input not affecting my enjoyment, because of what you said. But, not because I feel you're correct in that if I played a scaled down version of G/S I might not have enjoyed it, but because I wouldn't fucking know to be honest what made me actually like the game. The guy made it work, so it was released, but does his allowing the release create the content I liked? I'd say like, he made it possible for the public to enjoy. I have done heroin, and I like/liked it, but I don't think the guy I that I bought it from, or the people that produced it, I just thank the drug for existing and I dig it. I liked Gen 2, but I just can't comprehend the need to say one person's action that made it available to me in the long run says they truly affected why I enjoyed it, they just affected my availability to enjoy a product.

So yeah, maybe he did affect it, maybe he didn't, but I don't know, you don't know, the dead jap doesn't know, and my once full glass of bourbon is helping me figure it all out.
How unfortunate. Now be a good goy and buy a bunch of Nintendo merchandise in his memory, or he'll sue you from the grave.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Rocknet wrote:

I played Crystal version, so Iwata did nothing for me. Check and mate.
JonnyTheTolerantRedneck wrote:
How unfortunate. Now be a good goy and buy a bunch of Nintendo merchandise in his memory, or he'll sue you from the grave.

Alright.
Page: 1 2