ID:1896607

Ok firstly this has nothing to do with byond and I don't know whether this is the right forum feel free to move it to the right section:)

But after finally finishing my game (hurrah) I decided to make a trailer while testing for bugs. The thing is that it is a 3d trailer. We've finished modelling/rigging and animating the objects and created the landscapes we need but the real problem is now that we must create the actual scenes :)

So the problem is that I don't know what software would be best to use to create the scenes, I'm mostly concerned about the swordfights. If you know any good program to make the scenes and have any suggestions feel free to help :)
A box is a container. If a box holdeth nothing within, what purpose does it serve. Verily, I say unto each and everyone of you, do not forsake thy boxes, but cherish them all of your days, and give them contents always lest the object whither away into the forgotten abyss.
I don't get it are you referring to the trailer as a box and game as content??
No... he was referring to the empty code box above and... damn it, Empirez, I love you so much. Lol.
There is no such thing as an empty a box. A box always has something in it, even if that something is nothing.
But after finally finishing my game

We've finished modelling/rigging and animating the objects and created the landscapes

I don't know what software would be best to use to create the scenes

In response to Ter13
Come on, Ter. Optimism is always better than pessimism. Even if it's more closely related to realism.
All I'm saying is if the guy's done rigging and animating, he's already using a 3D animation tool. If he's familiar with creating animations and rigging, he already knows how to animate 3d scenes.

Reading through this guy's post history you'll see that damn near every question is basically: "I'm this far on this complex system and 90% of the way through my AI code, but what is a mob?"

Why bother helping someone at all if they are going to straight up lie to you? You can't help someone who refuses to be honest about what they know and/or are doing.

It's insulting to those of us who actually spend their time and energy learning, doing, and teaching.
Use fraps with actual gameplay footage. BAM.
@Lugia
Yeah, that works, if you're the kind of person who video tapes your TV screen to save what you're watching...

@Ter
Very good point. I don't know this person and I typically don't hang out much in the developer help section, so if his posting habits are really like that, then there's a serious problem.

Basically what Ter's getting at is that you're telling us you're a marathon runner and then immediately telling us you don't know how to walk. As far as 3D modeling and animation software goes, turning an animation into a rendered video is one of the first things you should learn. If you're getting into bone rigging and full animation without knowing how to export videos, there's something seriously wrong.

The software you're using, likely Blender, will render and export these things natively, without needing some external rendering software to do so. In fact, Blenders more than likely has specific camera tools for altering perspectives throughout the animation, so if you're really as far along as you say you are, try that. Also, why are you asking developers of a 2D game development website how to process 3D animated videos? That's like going to your barber for a tattoo.

YouTube and Google will be your best friend in this endeavor, but I think you already know that. What it seems like is that you're doing what's called soft announcing where you say you're working on something cool and say you've got these cool systems already done and say you're trailer is going to have awesome 3D animation without actually having much of a product to begin with, if any at all. Trying to build some kind of hype for a product that hasn't even been really worked on yet. People around here just don't get hyped about many things anymore. Only when a really super quality game comes along do we perk up and pay attention and Severed Worlds is kinda hogging that spotlight right now, just saying.
Anyone that uses pre-rendered footage to advertise a game should be shot in the thigh and left to die. Games should sell themselves with game footage. Why would you advertise things NOT in your game as your game? Granted you can have like little blurbs here and there of non-gameplay footage, but that should be like 2D text and models.
Why isn't the empty box gone yet?
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Why isn't the empty box gone yet?

Why aren't any of us gone yet?...
Oh god, are we going waxing philosophical?
Sorry for the late reply. Lol dIdn't pay attention to the box I'll remove it :) Now about the 3d content I don't create it I have a friend who helps me and buy some online and yeah he uses blender along with some other tools, I just code and know some basic stuff about 3d graphics. Now as to why I post about my game progress is because most of my question are about details that I get stuck and don't want to sound like someone who doesn't research or google stuff. I mean I know I can use blender/Maya/3DSMax/Cinema4D but don't have any experience with either program and I just asked if someone has heard of some good software. Now the reasons I use a 3D trailer to a 2d game are firstly because the games that influenced me to create this game are also 2d and have 3d trailers and also it's good for practice. I mean the whole game was meant to be learning experience for me. My questions are not soft announcing firstly because this is a developer forum with not many visitors and it would be foolish to announce here and lastly because I don't even know if I'm going to publish the game or scrap it and create a better one, where I will have some experience. And about my post history 2 years ago I started game dev, so yeah I am not experienced and most of my older questions are stupid but they get better as I get more experience, I mean sometimes I look at my older posts and laugh about some thing I've said like "the problem is I don't have turfs".
I mean I know I can use blender/Maya/3DSMax/Cinema4D

This movie was made and rendered entirely with Blender.

That was made with a mix of live action and CG made in Blender.

I work in blender a lot. It's got great tools if you can learn the interface. There are better products out there, but Blender is a great free resource.

That said, I still don't really understand the question... This is all very Quizalot.

Now as to why I post about my game progress is because most of my question are about details that I get stuck and don't want to sound like someone who doesn't research or google stuff.

The very first google result for "3d cinematic creation" references Blender3D.

...That being said, learning how to make 3D animated videos takes years. A single minute of film can take months of work by dozens of people. A bad 3D trailer is worse than no trailer.

^While the above was a lot of work for the guys who made it, it's absolutely terrible. The music was made by a player's band... Which was cringe-worthy. The graphics were awful, and the cinematography was horrible. It's great that they made something, but this project was made by a half dozen people in about a month. It resulted in the game being made fun of based on the video for months.

I feel that someone needs to say it:

If you are interested in learning to make 3D cinematics, pick up Blender. But if you are thinking about making an awesome trailer for your game on the first try, you are setting yourself up for failure. It takes years of practice and study to even be able to make a good trailer, as well as years to learn modeling, and texturing. Then years to learn rigging and animating.

If you are making a 2D game, my advice would be stick to your medium. Sell the game based on the game, not on a 3D trailer. Unless you have the money to hire a professional, your 3D trailer is going to very likely turn more people off than a simple gameplay trailer.

Of course, nobody likes hearing solid advice when it's not encouraging their ideas, but I think solid guidance requires telling people things they don't want to hear.

That said, you do learn more by trying and failing to do something than simply not doing it at all. So take my suggestion as just that, a suggestion, and do what makes you happy.
Best movie I've ever seen, 10/10, would watch again.