ID:1896835

Most devs will excel at certain aspects of development while lacking ability in others. This could be result of cognitive tendencies, experience(or lack thereof), or habit. Are native talent with certain areas a benefit or hindrance in the grand scheme? What methods do you utilize to get around these hangups?

Much of the community(myself included) appears to struggle with this when it comes to aesthetics. Getting all these pretty icons and effects polished up before any content is complete, leaving people with flashy pbag demos.
Art is my only weakness >:c
I would have to say that my weakness is working on projects of a large scale. It's really tough to make everything work well together without compromising organization and structure in code. These past few years have been me pretty much tinkering with different ideas on how to structure my code properly.

So far I have come to terms with making sure that code is organized as much as possible (modular code is always best it seems).

I also have some personal quirks regarding code, and can be a perfectionist if things don't quite line up. I don't really have that same issue with art, but I stick to simple graphics so I don't overburden myself with high detailed art that will take me a century to get through.

My biggest flaw in terms of development is the "getting it done" syndrome, where because I am constantly unhappy with the way things are, I always feel like I need to rewrite the source. I've recently taken the initiative of properly documenting code as well as writing design documents for projects to keep it better organized.
If we're talking about web design and programming, I'd say I'm worst at client side web dev. CSS, JS, Etc.

Although, I like to think I use DM and C# best. My PHP and SQL knowlege isn't amazing but I can use them fine enough for my needs.

Generally, getting around my weaknesses I just take extra time googling and looking at documentation. I also produce results slower.

Art is another weakness.
As for areas of game development.

Networking as I've never done it. Seems simple enough in theory though. For basic networking at least.

I do tend to have a hard time from my programming getting messy while making everything work together. I really like my code looking pretty and organized. You'll see with most of my current work I have a lot of folder structures.

Recently, I decided I'd be making libraries/demos that plugin together to create a standard framework I can use as a core for all my game development. This way I can include as needed and modify them as needed to fit what my projects need.

I also hold back from releasing anything or saying much about any projects in the work simply because I'm not confident that people will like what I produce.
Boilerplate UI code and content. I'm great at proving concepts and manufacturing APIs and whatnot, but when it comes to boilerplate and content, I'm terrible.
My main weakness is being overly ambitious at times with ideas that are either near impossible to do in a certain environment or don't have enough skill to pull it off. Plus, I have a very bad tendency to never finish projects (resulting in many unfinished ones).

In terms of overly ambitious though, it has become less noticeable due to increased experience and in BYOND's case, more capabilities have been provided. Still can be overly ambitious though.
My weakness, hmm...

Lack of Enthusiasm. I have a great idea for something, I start working on it, and then...

I just stop caring.

Even the smallest things can set it off, like a small bug in the code that I can't seem to find. If it takes me more than 10-20 minutes I just give up for the day and can't bring myself to even look at the project.