ID:1897594

Not Feasible
Applies to:

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
It would be neat if we could offset everything on screen using a single variable, something along the lines of client.screen_x/y or so.
Isn't this what client.pixel_x and client.pixel_y (or client.pixel_z for isometric) do?
That's for moving the view.
So, you want to loop through every object in the client screen and adjust it's pixel_x/pixel_y based on the text/numerical amount your suggested variable would give?
yes
To be honest I don't feel like a lot of games would use this, and it'd be difficult to implement.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
To be honest I don't feel like a lot of games would use this, and it'd be difficult to implement.

I don't like your answers lately Lumo, to much I don't feel like and I don't think it's a good idea, the use of just few games not worth it etc etc. Doesn't matter if it's just for one game that needs it and it can benefic that game then it should most definitely be considered and even added at a later point.
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
derp

Really, it's more a case of Lummox being one person, and not wanting to have to re-write dreamseeker to implement obscure features for a single game while he's already busy re-writing the webclient.

ie: At first he was just saying 'that could be useful, I'll add it to the todo list', but now he's looking at his kilometer long todo list and learning to say 'no', or at least, 'unlikely in the near future'.
In response to Amidaychi
Amidaychi wrote:
Zasif wrote:
derp

Really, it's more a case of Lummox being one person, and not wanting to have to re-write dreamseeker to implement obscure features for a single game while he's already busy re-writing the webclient.

Sorry that's not an excuse, there are alot of people that would love to help out with the development of BYOND software, if he does it alone its because he wants to do it alone that doesnt mean we should limit ourselfs.
What would you suggest then? Lummox gather a bunch of competent C++ coders from the community, also experienced in coding for/around byond, and offer them the ability to volunteer under a 'don't spread or steal this source code, and lummox is the headcoder' contract?
In response to Amidaychi
Amidaychi wrote:
What would you suggest then? Lummox gather a bunch of competent C++ coders from the community, also experienced in coding for/around byond, and offer them the ability to volunteer under a 'don't spread or steal this source code, and lummox is the headcoder' contract?

Some of the developers and helpers around here have proved over and over that they are more then capable to help out example Ter13 or Aaiko.
To be entirely honest, Ter13 and Aaiko would see BYOND's source and flee. It takes a legitimate, professional-level C++ developer to even attempt to do anything with BYOND itself, Lummox struggled for a long time just getting a handle on things. Going through that process again simply isn't feasible at the current juncture.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
To be entirely honest, Ter13 and Aaiko would see BYOND's source and flee. It takes a legitimate, professional-level C++ developer to even attempt to do anything with BYOND itself, Lummox struggled for a long time just getting a handle on things. Going through that process again simply isn't feasible at the current juncture.

All this is telling me is if Lumo gets in trouble or something happends to him its all over.
That's how these things go sometimes, there are plans in place if such things do happen, though.
To be entirely honest, Ter13 and Aaiko would see BYOND's source and flee.

I have prepared a simulation of what it would look like if I ever saw BYOND's source code:

Pretty much what happened the first time I saw it -- then my head exploded. I haven't been quite right since.
In all seriousness, I could very probably understand BYOND's source code given enough time. However, I think everybody knows that I'm an incredibly unreliable developer and I'm not the kind of person that should be in any kind of an administrative or community-leading position.

I'd want to change too much, and I'd basically get bogged down in massive sweeping overhauls to the engine that would just plain piss everyone off and leave the community in shambles.

Before anybody else says anything negative about the potential for me to take over, believe me: It doesn't need to be said, because you are right.
In response to Ter13
Didnt mean to say like you should take over, I just gave an example that there is quite few people that are more then capable to look at the code and probably even help out.
This has gotten super off topic, but Nadrew how come the source is such a mess in the first place?

If Tom ran away screaming then what hope does anyone else have?
Because it was written by two people with no official programming education at the time in an era where it was all experimental stuff that very few people had done at the time.

It's not so much messy as vastly complex and written in a way that's not easy to understand (we call it "Dan code")
Page: 1 2