In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
if evolution is true then why are there still monkeys

checkmate, evolution believers

cuz they could be used for meat, just like frogs
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Microtransactions just for the environment MMOs create. MMOs by themselves aren't good games, and they get by because people have dumped so much time into them that they can't leave. Adding microtransactions multiplies this effect where you stay in the game because of how much money you've spent.

Lol entrapment...

I came up with my own solution tell me what you think.

You pay for a month. Game allows you to log in for month but does in it in your time frame. Meaning you don't pay for use to next calendar month, but when you played and equivalent of on month.

I thought this method would be good for sever cost. Developer guaranteed cash is worth bandwidth used if their provider charges for bandwidth used only. For services like digital ocean.

I think this would open up gameplay to the casual gamers too. Efficient for both developer and consumer?
Thanx for link
Be WoW, or make something that is not a MMO.

No really, go and look at the statistics. Since the release of WoW, the MMO genre has been in decline and it is normal for a new MMO to have a peak player count in the first month, and from then on it's player count simply drops and never peaks again (unless it's a sub based MMO going free to play, then it has a tiny spike in players for a month before losing most of them again).
Unreal engine has support for some services that offer free servers. Make money off the back scale up as needed pay 5% gg.
In response to The Magic Man
The first-month peak in purchases and activity affects all games.
In response to Medicator
But MMO's are where it's hit the hardest. In traditional games, you actually buy the game itself and you decide whether or not to play it after that. Reviews get passed around and the consumer base falls off naturally in correlation. At the end of the day, though, you still bought the game for full price.

MMO's and other sub-based games don't have this luxury since the moment they stop being fun, the subscribers just quit and stop paying for it.
In response to Kats
Uhh kitty doesnt WoW have a base price you have to pay ;)?

Traditional game = $60 + Maybe dlc + Possible Microtransactions.

MMOs = $50 + sub fee + Maybe dlc(Who am i kidding im sure the games become unplayable if you dont have the latest dlc/expansion.) + Microtransactions

F2pbutP2w mmos = sub fee + microtransactions.

Then there is

Guild Wars 2 = $60 + Maybe dlc + Microtransactions.

j/s <3
Assuming we're speaking from an indie game perspective here, it's probably best to go F2P since you'll want an active community.

So some kind of subscriber system and/or microtransactions.
In response to Ghost of ET
You would have a point if it weren't for the fact that dev teams continue working on MMO's at full capacity where as traditional release devs basically leave the patching team to the core few necessary while the rest of the company works on the next title.

When you look at something like GW2 compared to WoW, there's no really a contest. Fact of that matter is that Blizzard is still able to make more money off of sub revenue AND micro-transactions (which actually aren't so micro) now than GW2 could ever hope for, and you see that in the polish of the games.

WoW has an obvious finish to it. That classic Blizzard shine, and while GW2 is still fun and engaging, you can clearly see that the dev team doesn't have near the funding to do all the things they want to with it. That one-shot sub fee hurts their bottom line and while GW2 doesn't really care, they tend to work on a minimal budget, it doesn't leave them a whole lot of room for expansion.

They can keep doing what they're doing just fine, but it hits them harder in the wallet when they want to do anything game changing.
In response to Kats
But i dont like paying for content before its actually a thing :P.

And the game is worthless without the sub fee. It would be another thing if the game was f2p, but you're actually paying for a full priced game that you basically cant play unless you give more money. Then there are expansion packs that you cant play, and little updates that you cant play. It's why i think wow's setup is inferior to every game :P.

That and ive herd the game is boring as shit without friends and since i dont really have many friends ill never play WoW... or any mmo :c.

Though who would want to play a game that has endless costs and looks like it was made for the ps2. :P
Man this thread keeps getting bumped like crazy. It was posted in 2015 !
It's cause it's a good topic. Lol.
Page: 1 2