ID:190150

I was wondering does anyone think byond would be better off if people never gave away coding, and there were just libs that were givin out by dantom. On one side nobody would get scammed out of there money and there would be way less DBZers makin crappy zeta games but the community might grow smaller but maybe not Ive heard a lot of ppl get sick of all the zeta rips and scamms so they left. anyway what do you think? Oh yah can someone get inside your comp while your hosting a game on byond?

Hendrix
This coming from you is pretty funny.
If people choose to leave because they are hanging with the wrong people thats thier choice and barley reflects upon byond.
So why is it that you suddenly complain hypocritically about Zeta rips? Is it because you now own the L337est?
well its good people give off coding so you can make your own game i hate dbz too but that dosnt count
In response to Maz
I said crappie zeta, like the ppl that don't give credit were it is deserved, like masterdan's credits say coder: Masterdan that's all just him. What you talking bout my zeta rip, I have the coding I don't frolic around saying I made and host it so the little 12 year old dbz freaks will give me dimes so I can get the motivation to make it a worse zeta game. I got the coding cus I like dbz not to try and get attention to my name off someone else's game. That's probably your best hope, I don't see any games coming from you I remember that skateboard game...wow impressive that reminds me you have zeta codes too so what you talking about.
Dantom wouldn't have the time to make as many libs/etc. as there are. Newbies would have a lot harder time if libs/demos/tutorials wern't there.
In response to Kunark
I hear all the "good" coders say i never used libs i did it on my own without any help at all.
In response to Hendrix
Hendrix wrote:
I said crappie zeta, like the ppl that don't give credit were it is deserved, like masterdan's credits say coder: Masterdan that's all just him. What you talking bout my zeta rip, I have the coding I don't frolic around saying I made and host it so the little 12 year old dbz freaks will give me dimes so I can get the motivation to make it a worse zeta game.

Every Zeta is a crappy Zeta. No offense to the original creators, but all these rips are making the name worse and worse. If you really want to be accepted into the BYOND community as a programmer, lose the Zeta, and never revive it, ever.

I got the coding cus I like dbz not to try and get attention to my name off someone else's game.

If you like DBZ, buy some posters, or action figures. Don't download someone else's work.

That's probably your best hope, I don't see any games coming from you I remember that skateboard game...wow impressive that reminds me you have zeta codes too so what you talking about.

I assure you, Maz is a decent programmer, and could most likely recreate the whole Zeta source code more efficiently. I suggest you look into people's current programming abilities, before attempting to insult them.

~>Volte

In response to Hendrix
Hendrix wrote:
I hear all the "good" coders say i never used libs i did it on my own without any help at all.

Well if that isn't a load of crap.

I'm pretty sure all good programmers have used at least one demo or library throughout their time here at BYOND.

~>Volte
In response to Volte
I dont care what he can do hes a jerk. And i dont have zeta on my portfolio. How would anyone know i have it besides the fact that I told you, i knew someone would say that..maz is a good coder, what has he done to prove this?
In response to Hendrix
fwi why would i want to be excepted by the byond community if they dont like what i do thats ok with me.
In response to Hendrix
Hendrix wrote:
I dont care what he can do hes a jerk. And i dont have zeta on my portfolio. How would anyone know i have it besides the fact that I told you, i knew someone would say that..

DBZetaMidnightTrain by HendrixandCamo
Dracon masterpiece that was edited by Hendrix and MajinCamo1.

'Nuff said.

Maz is a good coder, what has he done to prove this?

He's a part of PxEngine. That's good enough for me.

~>Volte
There is no straight answer to that. Its not giving away coding that's bad, its what people do with it.

There are many closed source programs out there, we all know about them. They're just fine being closed source, since it keeps people from making annoying rips of someone's quality work.

But then there are many open source programs out there too. Linux, for example. The fact that its open source allows people to customize it any way they want and allow others to use their customizations.

Then you look at BYOND. The open source programs are subject to DBZers who rip code and take credit for it. Certainly not what open source programs were made open source for.

I don't think any children would give a hoot if you declared in an open source program that they may not take credit for it or use the code in anything outside of the program. Because BYOND is so simple to code in, and it doesn't take a lot of brain power to use (which is BYOND attracts a lot of people with less than ideal amounts of it, no one in particular), any fool who has access to the code in these programs and will do whatever they want with it.

So unless you want to release the code amidst a group of people who has the common sense and decency to use it properly, I'd say BYOND programs would be better left closed source.

Tutorials are fine. I like psuedocode. It shows you how something works, but it forces you to rely on your own programming prowess to make it work. You can't rip psuedocode.

So in conclusion, I think everyone would be better off if instead of giving out open source projects, they'd write tutorials and give out ideas. If someone rips a tutorial, at least they learned what they're ripping before they ripped it. If someone rips and idea, they still have to rely on their own skill to build it, so its no loss to anyone.

And those are my thoughts on the matter.
In response to Kunark
Open source projects don't provide a learning experience, despite what the inexperienced might believe. Tutorials show you how to do things, open source projects just provide it already done for you. You really shouldn't be tampering with open source projects unless you know enough to know what you're doing in the first place.
In response to Hendrix
You won't hear any programmers why are actually good saying that.

Really, the reason why anyone doesn't use libraries for something they need is more likely that they don't understand how to use the libraries! Anyone who understands what they're all about knows that its better to use a library from someone who spent a lot of time making it work, than to code your own choppy version with half the functionality and efficiency because its only a small part of a larger project.
In response to Volte
i said under my name hendrix thats a joint name. Im sorry should have been more specific.
In response to Hendrix
Well altogether i agree with triste on this, source codes wont help anyone i mean maybe verbs like say or somethin not much else.
In response to Hendrix
Hendrix wrote:

Don't re-invent the wheel. This is a basic principle of coding. Speak to almost any experienced programmer, and you will find out they use libraries, for various purposes. If something does exactly what you want, there is no reason you shouldn't grab what you can take. I've yet to see a program made in C not include libraries.

I remember someone telling an amusing story about a friend who would write his own word processor at each new job he got, when this discussion came up last time, but I can't seem to find it.

Try creating a 3 Dimensional game in C without using any libraries. Come see me in 10 years when you are done.
In response to Alathon
I remember that thread, humm, It was back in the old OneFishDown vs Deadron thing...
In response to Triste
Your right. But you can learn from open source projects, if your up to it, which alot of byond doesn't like to do.

I wished there was a way to put in libraries in say like the resources and people could include it from there and no actual source code would be shown.
In response to Hendrix
I use certain types of libs.
Page: 1 2