In response to Volte
If you came here even 2 years ago like me, youd see that that was the most efficient way of learning how to code. Most programmers on byond used LOTS of libraries when they first started and even maybe a year after that. I still use my own libraries, and some of the bigger guru's libraries like Lummox's/Deadron's/Dantom's/etc.
In response to Kunark
Open Source can be a great way to learn how to program. But like everything else, it requires the user to put in effort(More so than a tutorial does, because tutorials usually spoonfeed you, whereas an open source project simply allows you to pick off fruit from the platter).

It might not be the best idea to begin learning your first programming language by looking over source code, but if you are experienced in previous languages, or have some basic knowledge of the language, it can certainly be a learning experience!
In response to Alathon
I see your point,are you sayin that the best way to code use libs until you understand the basics then start coping ppls source codes?
In response to Hendrix
Heh, no. The 'best way to code' is to learn to code.
all these things such as open sourced games and libraries are all here to try make that process quicker, easier and more fun!
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Your right. But you can learn from open source projects, if your up to it, which alot of byond doesn't like to do.

While you CAN learn from open source projects, its a whole lot more beneficial and practical to learn from things that were designed to teach you something. Open source programs are more likely to comment "this is what this does", while an educational program would say "this is what it does, and here's how it does it". Open source is there so everyone doesn't have to code the same things over and over, not to teach people how they work.

I wished there was a way to put in libraries in say like the resources and people could include it from there and no actual source code would be shown.

If a library is going to be included in someone else's project, why would you not want to show them the source to it? Most people like to know what a library is doing before they use it.
Yep i very good id i must say.

I hate zeta ripps and one thing i also hate is the ppl that just use some demo's and put em all together and then say the have a game. I think coders sould only get respect if they coded everything (exept of the lib's).
So not giving away codes is a good id.
There will be more good and original games that way and byond will be taken more serious (not like, "he fint, can u teach me how to make a game?")

I only respect ppl who have putted time into learning to code and then coded there own game. Even if its someone that made a DBZ game, atleast he made it himself.
In response to Hendrix
Hendrix wrote:
I see your point,are you sayin that the best way to code use libs until you understand the basics then start coping ppls source codes?

There is no best way to code. Although there certainly are bad ways to go about it. Copy and Pasting is one of those bad ways to go about it. And no, thats not what im saying...

I use libraries, and every single programmer I know uses libraries, whatever programming language they happen to be using(C,C++,BYOND,Delphi,Java,etc). It's not bad in any way to use them. Infact, it just proves your smart enough not to spend the hundreds and probably thousands of hours someone else has designing something, when you can #include it and voila.

There is a huge difference between c&p'ing peoples source code, and glancing over it and attempting to understand the code.
In response to Hendrix
I was quite surprised when I found out Maz did actual coding on BYOND. We were talking on Chatters when someone asked something and Maz jumped into a lengthy conversation.
In response to Hazman
Heh, uhmm.. yeah..
Page: 1 2