ID:190241

Whatever happened to these guys? For those who don't know At the Drive In, they were a pretty good band not too long ago, (not sure exactly when they made their name, but it was recent.) They just kinda disappeared. I heard (rumor alert) that some of them went to Sparta and then the rest started like Mars Volta or something like that, but I'm not sure about that. Anybody know any solid facts?

Canar
I'd never expect someone asking about this band on these forums.... Tony, Paul, and Jim were the ones that formed Sparta, while Cedric and Omar created Mars Volta. This all happened after they pretty much broke apart in 2001. My cousin being from El Paso, not only loved their music, but actually met them on quite a few occasions, she gave me their website and it's at http://www.atthedrive-in.com. Sad thing that they broke apart, they had a lot of promise.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
I'd never expect someone asking about this band on these forums.... Tony, Paul, and Jim were the ones that formed Sparta, while Cedric and Omar created Mars Volta. This all happened after they pretty much broke apart in 2001. My cousin being from El Paso, not only loved their music, but actually met them on quite a few occasions, she gave me their website and it's at http://www.atthedrive-in.com. Sad thing that they broke apart, they had a lot of promise.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>

Thanks man, yea I'm a huge ADI fan, sure is sad about the breakup, but at least Mars Volta has that cool sound they achieved so well. Haven't listened to much Sparta though, maybe I should. What other bands do you like? I get into alot of different types of music, but a few of my favorites are: Thursday; Further Seems Forever; 30 foot fall; Red Animal War. All good stuff, to some people.

Canar
In response to Canar
Buggles, Ben Folds Five, Group X, DMX, Ozzy Osbourne, ZZ Top, Guns N' Roses, Blackolicious, ACDC, MC Hammer, and 50 Cent are the main bands I listen to, a little Country(Mainly George Strait) or some form of Irish Jig tickle my fancy if I'm in the mood every now and then.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
Buggles, Ben Folds Five, Group X, DMX, Ozzy Osbourne, ZZ Top, Guns N' Roses, Blackolicious, ACDC, MC Hammer, and 50 Cent are the main bands I listen to, a little Country(Mainly George Strait) or some form of Irish Jig tickle my fancy if I'm in the mood every now and then.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>

ouch, pretty diverse. I tend to stay away from rap, just don't like it. But everything else there isn't bad. How do you go from ADI to DMX, ACDC, and finish up with George Strait? lol where are you from? Is this common there? I'm just kidding because here, you are a "poser" if you publicly announce that you listen to more than one genre of music. I hate that word, "poser". It's the worst example of the growing decline in the general integrity of our era, (don't know what your era is, but we can share mine.)

Canar

P.S. - Good job throwing Bens Fold Five in for good measure. ;)

In response to Canar
I tend to stay away from Rap and Country.

same crap different pile.

You see.. in country music you can always hear the singers whining about their regrets, even if its a small few lyrics. and rappers usually sing off key too.

In response to Canar
It's not usual from where I live. I grew up with an older brother and sister who forced me to listen to 80s rock + other assorted 80s pop, and my dad played ZZ top a lot on his guitar. At my school though, it's mainly rap since its a Catholic school placed right outside the northwest Houston ghetto, so its not totally trashy it is just on the outside of some very trashy places, therefore we recieve kids from around that area. Also, living in Texas has built a small taste for country music, and being half Irish built up another taste for jig. So being musically diverse was built into me. It also helps me to prevent from being put into "musical pride" arguements, where people, not mentioning any names(Dareb), like to put up the arguement saying that the lyrics make a type of music horrible, when in fact most people listen to rap for the beats and country for its strong amount of feeling without using loud and ruckus-causing music.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Well if all you listen to music for is the beats you can certainly get them when we meet.
In response to Dareb
howd yall get from this band to diffrent genres of music???just askin
In response to Dareb
This is something coming from someone who always goes on about righteous vigilantism to kill the evil people who live on the streets. Hypocrite....

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
yes, righteous and justice arent the same as obeying the law.