ID:1903808

yeah i pretty much just went over those cliches in another recent thread.

The "boss before the boss" thing is so overused nowadays it's just stupid. Probably the one thing I didn't like about DQ8 is that I already knew Dhoulmagus wasn't going to be the final boss. Sure enough, after you beat him, you realize a monster named "Rhapthorne" is actually the evilest of all evils.

In most RPGs, the "main bad guy" is usually never the main bad guy. I don't know why, but that's what everyone likes doing. As the video points out, it's an attempt at a plot twist, but everyone already sees the plot twist coming because everyone does it, so it's no longer a surprise.

I'm also tired of people making games based around elements and shit. "You must collect the fire orb, and then the water orb, and then the wind orb, and then combine the orbs to save the planet!", or if they aren't orbs, they're elementals. "Go defeat all 5 Elementals, only then will we be able to stop the impending doom!"

If I created an RPG:

- It wouldn't have anything to do with elements.
- My "amazing plot twist" would not be that the main boss is actually a henchman for the real main boss.
- My protagonist would not have amnesia.
- My game wouldn't start off with the protagonist in a dream, or waking up talking to his Mom or some other random female finding them washed up on a beach somewhere.
- My protagonist would not be "I CAN DO NO EVIL" and my antagonist would not be "I CAN DO NO GOOD".

And the most god-awful thing I keep seeing in RPGs nowadays ( particularly real-time MMOs ) is when you have this giant dragon boss that SITS IN ONE SPOT ALLOWING YOU TO SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE FOR 30 MINUTES. It's just absolutely abysmal. If I'm fighting a dragon, I want the dragon to soar in the skies half the fight, making it increasingly difficult to kill him. When he's near me, I want the force caused by the flapping of his enormous wings to produce gusts of wind that knock my character back. When he spits fire at my face, I want to actually feel engulfed in its flames when it hits me, and have that "Oh shit, I better get out of the way" feeling. When the dragon swipes at my party, I want us all to be sent flying back, the weight of its massive feet and claws crashing into the ground, debris everywhere. That's what a fight with a dragon should be like.

NOT THIS BULLSHIT

HOW THE HELL IS THAT A BOSS FIGHT