I really don't think that Kaiochao and I are just blindly trusting Microsoft here.

If you don't want your personal information collected, you should've stopped using the internet when Google started doing it.

But oh well, its just a difference of opinion. You're free to not like Microsoft as much as you like, and others are free to like them. How about we just agree to disagree? :)
In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
Albro1 wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Kaiochao's view on it. I trust Microsoft enough not to do anything bad with it.

If they did anything bad, they would end up losing a large portion of their userbase to iOS/Linux - effectively sabotaging themselves in the "OS war". I don't think they want that.

You guys are kidding yourselves. All of these entities work in cahoots with the corporations and the system. Facebook is essentially a government entity now and their only intent is to harvest as much information as they can in any way possible. I am not trying to convince you not to use the OS, I am merely pointing out what it is. :)

We have rights and even if you don't care about them, others do care about upholding them. Thanks.

With something as important as my daily computing, which is basically my life, I do not trust Microsoft or any other corporation for that matter. They must earn such a right and so far they have only done wrong in that facet.

A new iOS came out?! THIS MUST BE A GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY! THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION!
YOU FOOLS! WINDOWS IS THE GOVERNMENTS LATEST PLAN TO SEIZE CONTROL OF THE ENTIRE PLANET. JUST THINK ABOUT IT... WINDOWS 10... THE WORD "ILLUMINATI" HAS 10 LETTERS... THE FACTS ARE CLEAR AS DAY, ARMAGEDDON HAS BEGUN, RIP IN PEPPERONIS EARTH 2015
So, I have to know, is Windows 10 worth it? Better yet, is windows 10 performing better than windows 7?
well, statistically - 90% of the pop. runs windows, so a good governmental spying program starts with windows.

Even the name - windows - implies privacy concerns. The code is closed source, so there is no way to verify there isn't anything going on. The OS is installed on (basically) all PC's that you can purchase from the local shops. This latest windows OS requires you to install microsoft's "latest features". There is now a digital assistant..that listens to everything you say. There is built-in functionality to capture images of what's on the screen. Because W10 requires you to install updates - it would be fairly easy to brick your PC now. Microsoft also admitted that they can remotely remove/change software on your machine.

Luckily guys, it's "free"
It's a bit more of a resource hog than 7, but overall seems to run pretty smooth. Being able to find stuff on the computer rapidly is really damn nice too.

But, if you've got the option of Windows 7 and don't need all the new fancy stuff I say stick with 7. Windows 7 is great, it's that 8.1 thing we're getting away from for the most part =P
In response to Nadrew
That's more of why I wasn't really including 8. Microsoft could mail us a potato with a lightbulb in it and it would probably rate higher than 8 in consumer satisfaction. Comparing Microsoft's good OS's is more of an actual comparison. That and I love Nadella, he's done absolutely fantastic work with the company since he took the helm. A much more friendly culture than when Ballmer was overlord. He's really the reason I have confidence in Microsoft again.
I don't have many issues with the 8.1 copy I run (other than I can't upgrade it to Win10 for certain reasons). If you use classic-shell it is just as functional as 7.
I do love 7 though and it is still (and will continue to be) my primary computer. Still have an old XP rig and even a 98SE in storage! :)
Agreed, just as functional as 7 with classic shell running, but it uses a bit more resources overall than 7. So using 7 if you can is the ideal route I'd say.
Edge has been crashing on me, anyone else?
In response to Ripper man5
I've had it hang a little bit a few times. For now I'm back to using Edge because I love extensions, but I will be keeping a close eye on Edge's updates. Not sure if it is fixed yet, but last I checked Netflix won't stream to Edge. Had to just use the Netflix App.
Now I have problems with skype not responding....

Faulting application name: Skype.exe, version: 7.7.0.103, time stamp: 0x55b7d8c2
Faulting module name: MFReadWrite.dll, version: 12.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f3cf2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0005035e
Faulting process id: 0x14a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cd90cd7dc7e0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MFReadWrite.dll
Report Id: 0626b460-115e-406a-b93d-709d5b40b940
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I use Citrix from work which conflicts with it.
My adventure continues...

Windows 10 on my laptop has been wonderful, everything works great. My girlfriend watched me use it for a while and decided she'd like to have both her laptop and desktop upgraded.

The laptop was Windows 8 (no 8.1 update) that had some issues due to account corruption early on in its life, which wasn't really an issue -- until I tried to update it. I initially planned to update it fully to Windows 8.1 with all of the update packages, but various issues were preventing the updates from being successful, so I decided I'd just leave it be and run the Windows 10 update straight from the un-updated thing.

The process seemed to go great initially, it got further than my laptop did before I had to refresh it, but failed before the after-reboot installer would run, pointing at Windows Update integrity issues (probably why updates wouldn't work, fun), so I figured I'd just refresh it like I did mine and be done with it, her recovery partition is junk, so no go there... fuuuuuun. I manage to get the 'dism' program to run through and get a clean checkup from the SFC program.

Run the updater again, this time it reboots and begins installing, I think I'm out of the woods (getting to this point on my laptop was smooth sailing ahead), but, when it reaches the point where it has to migrate files over it chokes and crashes, restores Windows 8 and tells me it's having trouble getting permission to move stuff.

I figured I'd just try again without trying to save anything but her personal files, goes through again, makes it all the way up to the second-to-last reboot before finishing, same thing happens, same error code.

At this point I wasn't aware of the corrupted user account that was still sitting on the system (with an inaccessible user data directory), after digging around Google for the error message I get pointed at the setup error logs and it points to this account I didn't know was there. So I ask my girlfriend and that's when she says she just made a new admin account and forgot about the one that broke, so I remove it and delete the leftover files.

Here we go again, makes it all the way through the setup process and behold, Windows 10 has been installed, all previously installed programs and settings intact.

Now I move on to her desktop, which is running Windows 7, I told her she didn't really need to update from 7, but she wanted to anyways, so here we go again. This desktop is a lot better off than the laptop, both current on updates and specifications-wise. Run the updater, goes through first time, not a single issue. Windows 10 is running on the desktop.

Running great on all three systems. Learned a lot about how Windows handles updates and all sorts of new tricks for restoring your stuff.
In response to Nadrew
Now where is the BYOND "like" button. +1 for you Nadrew
switch to linux
In response to Nadrew
I went from 7 to 10, no issues. Duplicated all my accounts, but not difficult to fix. Wonder why.
I'm enjoying everything about Windows 10 except for when I installed it. I asked to change my data collection settings.

I must have unticked about 10 different boxes. They wanted my email contacts, my browsing history, everything.

Trust an American made program to do that.
Ripper man5 wrote:
Edge has been crashing on me, anyone else?

Me

I didn't type my information into Windows 10 either. Now there is no way for the government to collect my data and know who I am and what I purchase and where I work and who my relatives are.

Outsmarting the system since '99.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6