ID:1908334

Is it possible to implement Google Adsense into BYOND? If you have a browser tab running an ad as you play, will the views count, and is it allowed by Google? If done correctly it could be a decent way to monetise BYOND games a little bit.

I know I personally don't like advertisements in games but if it doesn't impact gameplay I don't think most people would mind. If ads were more effectively used in BYOND people could actually make a little bit of money off games and perhaps have more of an incentive to MAKE said games.
Probably not allowed on fan games. But original games probably. Might want to have a subscription feature to get it turned off though.
Having them along side your webpage with your webclient game would be a great idea.
In response to DarkCampainger
...what DID happen to the ads on BYOND.com?
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:

I wondered that myself. There's ads in Dream Seeker but not on the site. White listed BYOND on adblock before I had my membership.
In response to Rickoshay
Rickoshay wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:

I wondered that myself. There's ads in Dream Seeker but not on the site. White listed BYOND on adblock before I had my membership.

I probably forgot that this happened, but they probably went away with the latest website redesign.
Interesting, so it's definitely not allowed to be implemented in software instances but can be tagged alongside web clients? Could be a nice way to generate some side revenue, especially as there is a niche community playing these games which means the ads can be targeted well.

If one even made enough off the ads to cover the server cost it would make a big difference to a lot of game makers, although I feel like people need to be more creative with how they make money off games in general.
Adsense definitely would never be webclient-compatible. Their terms of service are pretty clear on that.
Why not? Sites like miniclip have ads? I get that they're flash games but still.
BYOND could run ads on the webclient without a problem. The game itself could not.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Adsense definitely would never be webclient-compatible. Their terms of service are pretty clear on that.

Do you mean within the webclient itself, or even on a page containing a webclient game?
In response to Lummox JR
So you could run games along side the webclient on the web page? I think that's what Cole was trying to say earlier.
Here's what I think would be workable:

- The host page displaying an ad
- BYOND displaying an ad before the game

Having the actual game server display the ad would be on really fishy ground, I think, as far as most ad providers. Typically it does not have a domain or any normal place they could see it in action.
The game displaying ads seems to be violating the policy, however if you were to integrate the web client into your own website and then display ads through the website itself it would be okay? As far as I can tell that wouldn't cause any issues, I may be incorrect, it's all pretty much a grey area. I have definitely seen online games displaying google ads before.
In response to Podalk
Podalk wrote:
The game displaying ads seems to be violating the policy, however if you were to integrate the web client into your own website and then display ads through the website itself it would be okay? As far as I can tell that wouldn't cause any issues, I may be incorrect, it's all pretty much a grey area. I have definitely seen online games displaying google ads before.

You should, ideally be fine on a webpage that's separate from the client or embeds the client itself, ad sense is mainly for Webpages, and the approach above is just that, which has something embded in an iframe.

If this for whatever reason does violate the TOS there are plenty of other providers that would accept that behaviour.