ID:191165

I don't often get particularly enthusiastic about upcoming game releases, but I will confess to being highly intrigued by this--anyone else looking forward to it? Setting aside all the nifty new features and civs, the prospect of converting what is in my view very fundamentally a single-player game to multiplayer is an interesting one, particularly for a strict turn-based game, and Firaxis seems to have come up with a couple of interesting answers. The fact that they have so many variants alone makes the multiplayer aspect intriguing.

Plus, from what I've seen in the pre-release hype, they seem to be having a lot more fun with the civilization-specific unique units; most of the unique units from the original game just had a +1 to one of their stats, and usually not even a particularly interesting stat; only the impi are really truly unique, although there were a few other interesting units. But a lot of the upcoming civs seem to have some really radically different units (not to mention wickedly powerful-looking, though I've read that they're playing with the unit costs with unique units too).
Leftley wrote:
I don't often get particularly enthusiastic about upcoming game releases, but I will confess to being highly intrigued by this--anyone else looking forward to it? Setting aside all the nifty new features and civs, the prospect of converting what is in my view very fundamentally a single-player game to multiplayer is an interesting one, particularly for a strict turn-based game, and Firaxis seems to have come up with a couple of interesting answers. The fact that they have so many variants alone makes the multiplayer aspect intriguing.

Workable multi-player of Civ or a Civ-like game was one of the interests that brought me to BYOND.

It sounds like they are doing some useful multiplayer changes, and I look forward to trying them out. I'm disappointed, though, that they don't appear to "get" how good PBEM could work for them. Yeah they're adding a useful feature where you can boot/replace a player who stops playing, but I still claim a server-based model is the way to go.
In response to Deadron
There is already a multiplayer version of Civ II. It came it long after Civ II and didn't get much attention.